How much lamotrigine is too much..?

C

CaptainFlint

Just from everyone's experience who takes it. I've been on 150-200 for a couple years for bipolar 2. But I started feeling like it wasn't working for awhile.. still depressed, prone to mood swings. So I stopped taking it.. bad bad idea, lost all control and had an emotional meltdown that affected everyone around me and got me put in hospital briefly.

So now that I started taking it again.. I decided to say fuck it, maybe I should try 300mg. And all of a sudden it's just.. working. I still feel like shit a lot because of life circumstances. But at least I don't feel like my moods are completely caused my my head at the moment. A little bit clearer. Relaxing a little easier. Still difficult but things are a little better

But from everything I've heard, I think 300mg might be a high dose, maybe too high. Don't want health problems or bad side effects.

I definitely will see a psychiatrist soon and discuss it, but in the meantime I was hoping to get some opinions from people who have taken it before

calypso

calypso

Admin
HIya. I have bipolar 2 as well and am on 225mg Lamotrigine. It works well for me. Have you put yourself on 300mg? Its unclear in your post. If so, may I suggest you see a pdoc sooner rather than later as messing about with meds is not a good idea. Sorry if that is a little blunt. But I don't know the upper limit for this med I'm afraid. If its working again then it sounds like it is the right med to be on for you. Discuss it with your doc.

calypso

calypso

Admin
According to the NICE guidelines, 500mg is the max dose - but I am not an expert obviously

C

CaptainFlint

HIya. I have bipolar 2 as well and am on 225mg Lamotrigine. It works well for me. Have you put yourself on 300mg? Its unclear in your post. If so, may I suggest you see a pdoc sooner rather than later as messing about with meds is not a good idea. Sorry if that is a little blunt. But I don't know the upper limit for this med I'm afraid. If its working again then it sounds like it is the right med to be on for you. Discuss it with your doc.
Hi, not blunt at all, don't worry. Thanks for the reply.

I indeed have not yet discussed this with a psychiatrist, though I definitely will asap. I suppose I have never been one to follow rules, which is why Ive done a little dosage tinkering myself haha. But I realize that's not a good idea.

300mg really does seem to be working. If the upper limit is 500mg, I feel it's at least safe to carry on for a few days until my psych appointment. Thanks guys

calypso

calypso

Admin
I'm not an expert so don't take just my word for it that up to 500mg is OK!! You worried me now

C

CaptainFlint

I'm not an expert so don't take just my word for it that up to 500mg is OK!! You worried me now
Don't worry! Appointment this week, and I feel a lot more comfortable and better than I did before. I know it's not wise to make adjustments myself..but I don't think any major negative impact will happen within a couple days, and even if/when I talk to a psychiatrist there would still be a few days of a trial period with no real certainty as to how it would go. Don't worry!