• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How many years have you been hearing voices for.

R

Rebeca1

I've been hearing voices for six years now. How long have you had yours?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Nearly four and a half years. Started at the end of February 2016.

On the 14th of September this year I'll have been on meds for four years exactly.

Passionflower

Passionflower

10 years at the last count.

wollie

wollie

12 years now nearly 13, I have come to except it but it is hard.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Since around the year 2000 on and off, but constantly since 2010.

Memememememememe

Memememememememe

I've had all the other symptoms of psychosis for a lifetime but my hallucinations started about three years ago, maybe four or something

OCDguy

OCDguy

I can't help but think there is always a way to achieve Mind over Matter, which in turn will either silence the voices or allow you to work with them in a positive way... At the end of the day I personally believe Peace and Positive Progress is a outcome all are happy to accept...

Memememememememe

Memememememememe

I can't help but think there is always a way to achieve Mind over Matter, which in turn will either silence the voices or allow you to work with them in a positive way... At the end of the day I personally believe Peace and Positive Progress is a outcome all are happy to accept...
Mine don't go away no matter how much I try

EdEd

EdEd

I've heard voices for about 3 1/2 to 4 years.. maybe even longer.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Mine don't go away no matter how much I try
But it's your Mind, you own it. In my opinion there is always a way, it's just a way of silencing or accepting/be at peace with. Either way we should have control...

EdEd

EdEd

But it's your Mind, you own it. In my opinion there is always a way, it's just a way of silencing or accepting/be at peace with. Either way we should have control...
I couldnt agree with you more , this statement is very very accurate.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Since only around 10% of voices (so I've heard from the hearing voices network) go away completely when medicated I'm more of an advocate for coming to a peaceful arrangement with them.

But they seem to resent us so deeply for most of us it just isn't possible.

At one point I would pace around the back garden smoking hand rolled cigarettes and talking to my voice telling him how great things would be if we worked together but my words fell on deaf ears.

In September it'll be four years of me medicating my voice and not speaking a word to him, what a sad life that must be for him, I almost pity him but then he reminds me that he deserves every second of it.

EdEd

EdEd

Since only around 10% of voices (so I've heard from the hearing voices network) go away completely when medicated I'm more of an advocate for coming to a peaceful arrangement with them.

But they seem to resent us so deeply for most of us it just isn't possible.

At one point I would pace around the back garden smoking hand rolled cigarettes and talking to my voice telling him how great things would be if we worked together but my words fell on deaf ears.

In September it'll be four years of me medicating my voice and not speaking a word to him, what a sad life that must be for him, I almost pity him but then he reminds me that he deserves every second of it.
That sucks , it seems like you originally tried to really work with the voices.. but I think the way you're doing things now is key in you staying in control.. like taking medicine and ignoring the voice.. it appears you are in control of your situation and hope you stay in complete control.. :)

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I can control my side of things, like not speaking to him and not showing any emotion or reacting to anything he says or does. I can't control him speaking all the time and messing about with my/our body but I can cope with whatever he throws at me and that's in no small part to the medication I use.

OCDguy

OCDguy

I just wonder if you have tried unconditional nurturing love appealing to someone's better nature (different to trying to bargain with it)... Rome wasn't built in a day, but you never know...