How many peeps diagnosed with BPD are prescribed anti-psychotic medication?

W

Witts

How many peeps diagnosed with BPD are prescribed anti-psychotic medication?

was just wondering because this concerns me...

From my understanding, BPD is an emotional behavioural condition that warrents [sometimes] intensive therapy, and I understand that until that happens, or if the correct talking therapy is not found, some BPDs can lead chaotic lifestyles....

But to prescribe anti-psychotics, which are strong and potentially damaging drugs appears to me to be all about maintenance??? (Unless of course BPD isnt your primary diagnosis)

Does taking these drugs concern anyone?

C

cazzieb

Not really...i was first diagnosed with depression and was put on drugs 4 years ago, they helped me back to work and to live a 'normal' life i got diagnosed with PD a few weeks ago, they didn't say BPD but looking at them it fits me more then the others, but without ANY medication i think i would be dead now, so no if it suits then yeah take them. They are not for everyone but they do the job for those that need them. :)

maxitab

maxitab

I have always actively refused anti-psychotics....for BPD they are conta-indicated and NICE comes out strongly against them.....
When I asked recently why so many people with PD were on them I was told this was probably because of co-morbid conditions.....

cadence

cadence

hi yes i take them, i am also doing dbt, but it is the anti psychotics that have helped, i was v unstable til i started taking them, and now i am doing a lot better.

i think the meds depend on each person, i am lucky that my psych treats the symptoms not the label, some need them more than others i guess.

dib4uk

dib4uk

Im on Aripiprazole which is a drug that is an anti psychotic. Its used in clinical depression, schzophrenia and bipola. I think that the reason why im on it and i can only speak out for myself is because i have acute psychotic episodes where i hear and see things that is not there. It has helped me greatly but i still see and hear things occassionally now. Before the drug was introduced to my body it was dark dark times.....

I think like someone else pointed out i to have other issues not just a pd.

Last edited:
W

Witts

Hi Dib,

that is exactly my point, anti-psychotics cannot 'fix' BPD....its a behavioural condition thats needs talking therapy to support you change the way yo manage your emotions and if you are treated with A-Ps its more about managing you, sedating you effectivly....

However if you have psychosis, then of course thats different....

Its also amazing how people will just accept a drug given, and mot question this, why wouldnt you question it? Of course A-Ps have their place and are an integral part of someones recovery that suffers psychotic sysmptoms, but OOoooo if you are diagnosed with BPD, surely you should question?

W

Witts

hi yes i take them, i am also doing dbt, but it is the anti psychotics that have helped, i was v unstable til i started taking them, and now i am doing a lot better.

i think the meds depend on each person, i am lucky that my psych treats the symptoms not the label, some need them more than others i guess.
So were you diagnosed with psychosis?

maxitab

maxitab

People with BPD can have intermittent bouts of psychosis - hence the original name for Borderline, we were supposed to be borderline psychotic.......
When I am in a dissociated state I am totally out of it and don't know what I am doing. I also hallucinate....but I am not 'psychotic' because in between times I am very lucid and have insight, without medication.

keepsafe

keepsafe

I take aripiprazole also 40mg, I was put on then because of psychosis, I had many periods of full blown psychosis where would see images and people talked to me, I still get the voices as dib said but its not that often anymore, so whilst I am on an anti psychtoic I am glad to be for now - my life was unmanageable before. I also have d.b.t. and its doing me a lot of good. One day I hope to be off all my medication and not be a danger to myself and others.

KS

dib4uk

dib4uk

I take aripiprazole also 40mg, I was put on then because of psychosis, I had many periods of full blown psychosis where would see images and people talked to me, I still get the voices as dib said but its not that often anymore, so whilst I am on an anti psychtoic I am glad to be for now - my life was unmanageable before. I also have d.b.t. and its doing me a lot of good. One day I hope to be off all my medication and not be a danger to myself and others.

KS

I totally understand and get what your saying. Of course i want to be drug free but im afraid that my moods will once again become unstable and then id become at risk- or futher at risk as anyone with bpd or emotionally unstable personality disorder i believe are at risk.

V

vixmac22

I have been on so many meds through the years some antipshych - old ones were fluoxetine, quetiapine (which was horrible) olanzapine, citraline, citalopram and there are some others but im now on pre-gabalin which is an absolute godsend along with lamotragine and escitalapram

word of warning though - always check the max dose

my doctor mixed up escitalopram and citalopram puting me immediately on 60mg...escitalopram as it happens is 3x stronger nd 20mg is the licensed dose so i then got a letter in the post saying "your medication is being changed from 60mg escitalopram to 60mg citalopram you should not notice any difference - but obviously going effectively from 180mg to 60mg a day which made me almost suicidal (again) and now i have to be on 30escitalopram cause my body is dependant ....doctors especially gps in cambridge = morons! ...i miss my old understanding doctor

A

Asphyx117

Would anyone recommend trying anti-psychotic drugs where nothing else has seemed to work? I take fluoxetine and have tried mirtazapine, zopiclone and citalopram in various mixtures but I dont think the antidepressants do anything. Are the medications prescribed to someone with BPD supposed to level out moods? Because I am still regularly hysterical and increasingly suicidal, and dont feel my GP has sufficient expertise to comprehend it.

I am considering steering my GP towards searching for new medication...are anti-psychotics something I should consider? Are they prescribed easily?

C

cfb107

Only just seen this thread - I am diagnosed BPD, and was offered a mild anti-psychotic, but didn't take it because I couldn't really see the logic - particularly when my psych himself has said that BPD isn't treatable with meds...

That was a year ago & I'm very glad I didn't take them!

C

cfb107

P.S. I am diagnosed BPD, depression & anxiety, so they weren't offered for co-morbid conditions... The NHS is great ;)

cadence

cadence

So were you diagnosed with psychosis?
slight at the most but severe paranoia, is what he was treating with anti psych meds, and they have helped it, not cure but helped

cadence

cadence

Would anyone recommend trying anti-psychotic drugs where nothing else has seemed to work? I take fluoxetine and have tried mirtazapine, zopiclone and citalopram in various mixtures but I dont think the antidepressants do anything. Are the medications prescribed to someone with BPD supposed to level out moods? Because I am still regularly hysterical and increasingly suicidal, and dont feel my GP has sufficient expertise to comprehend it.

I am considering steering my GP towards searching for new medication...are anti-psychotics something I should consider? Are they prescribed easily?
what u said reminds me a lot of me, but the meds escitalapram (anti d), carbamazipine (mood stabiliser) and quietiapine (anti psych) have helped calm me down, in lots of stress yes i still get suidical etc, but can deal with "little" things better than i could. i am not saying everyone should be on meds, each to their own, some work better for some than others, this is just my experience, and before i started taking them i was at risk to myself and kids, as i couldnt comprehend what was dangerous etc, so last resort for me

R

runslikeariver

Hi All-I just wanted to talk about meds in general and hope this sticks to the original subject. I wasn't dianosed until I was 40 and life was hell on earth. I used street drugs and alcohol to self medicate and tried seven attempts. They were always serious attempts and I always got 'rescued', very much against my will. I was diagnosed with BPD at first, then DID, PTSD, anxiety and then borderline personality. They started me on the medication roulette wheel and tried so many drugs. Some worked and some almost destoyed me. The last ten years I have been on pretty much the same regimen and it has helped. I still suffer from the same things we all do; racing thoughts, anxiety, inability to fit in or communicate effectively with people. I think about death every day. Sometimes it seems like a good idea but most of the time it is enough to know that I can end the pain if I choose. The meds help me erect the boundaries that allow me to live and pursue the things I love. I have been a writer and an artist all of my life and it often helps to pull me back from the edge. I still suffer from paranoia and subsequently, withdrawal from life. I have a very difficult time making friends or hanging onto them if I do. My animals also give me a reason to live because who would love them as much as I do? The voices and hallucinations are mostly gone now but when I am out of my house I am always super vigilent. I also suffer from sensory overload and cannot drive because of it. I have not been able to work since 1995. So sometimes the lonliness and despair seem overwhelming. So the drugs have kept me alive and kept me out of prison and a schedual and exercise help a lot too, when I can do them. I have also taken DBT and can control that inner voice(s) most of the time. Some days taking a shower or housework or going out is impossible. I finished a novel I will be submitting next week and I am terrified that another rejection will do irreperable harm. It's been a year since I've had a pyscotic break and I hope the knowledge and wisdom I have accrued will keep me relatively sane now.
Meds are not the answer for everyone, as I have learned from reading on this forum, but they work for me to the degree that I am still alive and still, somehow, entertain the notion that hope is the ultimate drug. Some days I get to have that and that's also what keeps me hanging on.
As for normal? I don't know what that is. I no longer rail against the demons that these mental health issues support. I only know what is normal for me. If I wasn't this way, maybe I wouldn't be able to write or make art. Maybe I wouldn't be able to love so fiercely or be so brave. So fuck normal. I am who I am and I have finally learned acceptance and to work with the tools that I have. Sorry this is so long but I feel safe telling the truth here and I hope someone will get something out of this.
You are all so brave that it stuns me. Just try to keep on keeping on. It is all that we can do. Fondly, River

S

SMiRC

I was on quetiapine 9 months it didn't make me any better although it did make me sleep like a baby which was pure bliss but it also made me almost 20 kg heavier, i went from 55 kg to 73 kg in 6 months :( SSRI's don't suite me (i get way too high AND have panic attacks at the same time, not nice), venlaflaxin was a catastrophy, now i'm on diazepam only, some alprazolam (xanor) when really bad, but i try to avoid it.

S

SMiRC

Have you got bipolar hun? x
well that's my working dg but it's still not official and most of my symptoms suggest a variety of personality disorders. i hope and pray this will be sorted out soon...