• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

how long

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Does anyone know how long you can get DLA for. Ive just got it again and it says for 'indefinatly'. Which i assume means forever unless anything changes. But do you still recieve it after your 65 or will it stop when you go on to your pension.

Ive tried searching the net but cant find the info anywhere.

D

Dollit

It doesn't matter if it's in the wrong section I'll move it in a minute.

Every so often you have to fill the forms in again - every two or three years. Once you hit pensionable age it changes from DLA to Attendance Allowance.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Dollit;52001 Every so often you have to fill the forms in again - every two or three years. Once you hit pensionable age it changes from DLA to Attendance Allowance.[/QUOTE said:
When ive been awarded it b4 its always said for how long and the dates. The first time i claimed it was for one year, then four years but now it doesnt give any dates just says inform us if the situation changes.

Others that ive met thru hospital have said they are on it permanantly possibly due to the psych writing the report.

D

Dollit

I've never been told how long it would last for. I just get a form every now and then to fill in. Maybe it depends on how able you are. Or if the things you get awarded for are changeable. I get mine for one specific reason that may or may not change.

I'll have a dig around Daffy and see what I can find. Are you okay?

D

Dollit

Renewal claims and reviews
If you've been awarded Disability Living Allowance for a fixed period, you will have to make another claim to renew your benefit just before your entitlement ends. This is called a 'renewal claim'. Renewal claims are treated exactly the same as new claims, so you may be asked to attend a medical examination.
If your benefit award is for an indefinite period, you will not usually have to make a renewal claim. However, indefinite awards can sometimes be reviewed and you may need to have another medical examination as part of the review.

I got this from direct.gov.uk which says a lot about DLA if you can just find what you're looking for.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Thanks dollit that explains it. I dont think that much will be changing. It hasnt in the last 40 years:unsure:

IM fine now dollit thanks for asking. I was discharged from hospital last week. So what was supposed to be 2 weeks turned into 8 weeks. Apart from suffering from the shakes and a little bit of tiredness on a morning im fine now:flowers:

D

Dollit

I'm so pleased that you're much better. I like your new avatar, very smiley xx

M

maudikie

D.L.A

Carers U.K have a very helpful page on all the Benefits. I suggest you look on there; The usually put a booklet in witha ny correspondence which ells you abooout whichever Benefit you are on.

M

maudikie

Maudikie

I think anyone who is registered as disabled, and also on antipsychotic medication is entitled to DLA They are allowed to work for a short time and the therapeutic earnings allwance is £20. if you earn more than that certain benefits are affected, but not entirely removed. It is all very complicated, even though they have saud they will simplify the system.

D

Dollit

There is no such thing as being registered disabled anymore Maudikie and hasn't been for a very long time. The Green Card Scheme stopped in the 80s. Disability is something you consider yourself to be these days and is a grey area.

Being prescribed an anti psychotic medication does not entitle you to DLA - it is the ability to look after yourself or not that qualifies you for DLA. It is how severe your illness is not how strong the medication you take is.