• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How long will they let me stay off work?

E

Emmer

The thought of assessments every six months is going to make my already poor quality of life even poorer. I worry that it is a case of if you are not in hospital once a year, you must go back to work.

SarahD

SarahD

Yes unfortunately the government wants to persecute the sick and disabled, the idea being not to let them get too comfortable on benefits. So as soon as you complete one claim (collect evidence, fill in forms, wait for ages in trepidation for assessment interview, get stressed out and go to assessment interview, wait in trepidation for outcome) the whole thing starts again. The DWP actually forgot to write to let me know the outcome last time!

If you can get enough good evidence, you can get awarded for a longer period. It doesn't necessarily mean anything though. I saw a note from one woman whose husband was severely disabled. He had been awarded DLA/PIP indefinitely - but was still asked to be reassessed every six months.

I subscribed to an online help site, Benefits and Work, which provide downloadable guides to filling on the forms for ESA and DLA/PIP, how to appeal,etc. it costs £20 per year. They show you how to present information effectively so it is more likely to count in your favour. There are some free sites that help online too. It is really worth getting help, or a benefits adviser, to give you the best chance.

E

Emmer

Can't eat or sleep or breathe of stop crying. Going to cab tomorrow.

katya

katya

Can't eat or sleep or breathe of stop crying. Going to cab tomorrow.
Aw Emmer, I'm so sorry. I really hope your meeting with CAB goes well tomorrow, then it'll be out of the way. Wish you all the best. Please be kind to yourself until then.

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Emmer I hope cab helps tomorrow. Just to say its not always 6 month reviews on ESA, sometimes they leave you alone for a lot longer. Give as much info on the form as you can and send supporting letters. I hope you feel a bit better about things once you have the form done xx

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my esa was 18months when i asked ran out last november, haven't heard anything they've got a backlog touchwood they'll leave persecuting people severely to after the next election, wouldn't want to embaress the goverment with a embarrassing case

E

Emmer

Thank you. I didn't go to cab in the end. I decided to live my life in the present. Forget about the future. F them. F them. They will not stress me. My gp is a good woman. She said most people don't get back to work. That was reassuring. I think she'll support me for a while. I think we've just got to stop googling it. Stop watching the news. It affects me to see all the bad stuff in the world never mind the benefit stuff. I've got to become ignorant and just do my forms well.