How long to meditate

Kerome

Kerome

Lately I’ve been extending the amount of time I meditate, with some interesting effects. So I wanted to write a little about what to expect and what is appropriate.

I always recommend people start out with very short sections, especially if they’ve experienced psychosis in the last six months. So if you’re unfamiliar with meditation, start with 5 minutes or even 3 minutes. I recommend you use a timer on a mobile phone so that you don’t have to ‘clock watch’. You may experience fretting, impatience, the desire to sneak a peek at the clock, and all sorts of other sensations.

When you feel ready, move up to 10 minutes. For me it took about 5 days. At this point most of the fretting and immediate uncomfortableness should be gone, although you may occasionally experience attacks of impatience.

I stayed at 10 minutes per session for a long time, meditating maybe twice a week for a year. It was only when I looked at a local meditation group and saw they did group meditations of 2x 20 minutes in an hour that I decided to get more serious.

I quite quickly moved to 20 mins, 30 mins and now I do an hour. I must admit I have difficulty with concentration over that time, often my thoughts carry me away and it takes some time for realisation to come and for me to refocus on the breath. But I don’t find it difficult to stay still for that length of time. I notice that after about half hour the body is totally calm.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

I don't consider any of the meditation I do to be actual meditation as my mind interrupts constantly. So it really isn't meditation. It's me looking at the clock.