• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How long shall I wait to tell my new partner?

F

fairy_princess

Hello everyone! :welcome:

I'm new to the site, I've recently been diagnosed with Bipolar & am still trying to get my head round the news. I'm much more scared of what people will think of me instead of how it's affecting me. It explains soooo much about my personality. Since I've been diagnosed I've had to majorly change certain aspects of my life, which have been very daunting, but everythings ok so far. I've started seeing someone, (for the first time a really nice man) I really like him :love: and would like to have a future with him BUT how long shall I wait to tell him about Bipolar? I don't want to scare him off as people who have no understanding may be wary of it.

Thank you :)

Kos

Kos

This is a tough one, tell him straightaway he might get freaked out, tell him later it's as if you've been hiding it from him.

Hmmm, I would say tell him if you decide to go exclusive, no need to tell him if you're just casually seeing each other.

I wish you good luck with your new romance (y)

F

fairy_princess

Thank you so much I really appreciate ur message :flowers: I know exactly what you mean coz don't want him to think I'm hiding it so think I may tell him over the wknd. Thank you again :) xXx

M

maudikie

maudikie

I should tell him straight away if y ou are going to have a long relationship. You could also give him something to read about it so that he understands it better,
Good luck I hope all goes well.:)

A

AussieGirl

I'd tell him - if he runs a mile, he's obviously not the kinda guy that's going to stick around for long term situations

It's really hard for people to understand if they haven't been through it but if he's a good man, he'll know that it's not your fault and he'll help you through

F

fairy_princess

Aww thank you guys I really appreciate your help, my parents reckon I should wait another couple of wks but I don't think I can in all honesty. I reckon ur right & I should tell him coz we do really like each other, just hope it doesn't freak him out, but like you said if he runs a mile he isn't the right person for me. Thank you again :grouphug: xx

A

AussieGirl

My parents bought my partner a really good book, I'll try find out what it is called, I know it's in my house somewhere but am in the throws of moving (well, err, trying to) so not sure where it is.

All the best for you honey xxx

F

fairy_princess

Ooo that is exceptionally sound of you, thank you so much :flowers: Good luck with your moving, is lovely once you get settled in a new place :) xXx

S

suzy

I waited a few months before telling my bf, been with him over a year now. Don't feel you should tell him straight away. Wait until you are ready and have built up that trust first. I'm glad I waited till the right time to tell mine, he never asks me any questions about my bipolar is really understanding that I have my off days.

Once you say it you can't take it back so just make sure you feel ready ;)