• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How long in between manic episodes etc

T

TOONAFISH

hiya, is there an average sort of time between manic episodes? and does it normally always go manic, depression, manic, depression?

i had my first manic/ hypomanic episode starting dec/jan and until march i think, then i was depressed, still not feeling 100% yet.

have not been diagnosed yet, and i feel like i am on hold/ waiting for something to happen to me again.

does anyone else feel like that or do you just get used to it.

i know having had depression all my life that i didnt really think about when i would have it again, but with this im afreaid to book my hols etc for the summer, or to go to college, or start a new job.

sorry if i sound disrespectful of the illness:)

Modelaeroman

Modelaeroman

Hi Toonafish,

Thanks for the welcome. I find that I get a manic high for maybe 4-6 weeks then a stable couple of weeks then a very long period of depression, I was off work for 12 weeks last xmas with very severe depression.

regards

Kev:)

S

skyblue

Hi Toona,

You don't sound disrespectful of the illness, in my opinion I wish so much that it would just disappear.

There isn't an average time between episodes because everybody is so different, no two people with Bipolar are exactly the same.

Some people rapid cycle, having up to 4 episodes a year. Some people have episodes every 3yrs or so, depending on the individual.

Before I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar I was told I had Depression and this was since I was about 14yrs old. I knew that once I was in my 20's something more was up, I was off the rails and lost a lot of friends, jobs etc.

I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar 4yrs ago whilst having a breakdown and spending 4months in hospital.
I have experienced manias followed by depression, I have also experienced mixed episodes followed by just depression.

I know what triggers an episode off for me, that is stress and sleepless nights. Other than this, I believe I have major episodes every 3yrs, inbetween are mini episodes, say afew a year.

I know what you mean about pre-planning, I used to struggle with this. Now though I just book things and hope for the best, you can't let this illness overtake you, you just have to learn how to manage it when things get tough. I'm still finding the lows difficult, but I believe I haven't been medicated correctly at this moment.

Sky x

hiya, is there an average sort of time between manic episodes? and does it normally always go manic, depression, manic, depression?

i had my first manic/ hypomanic episode starting dec/jan and until march i think, then i was depressed, still not feeling 100% yet.

have not been diagnosed yet, and i feel like i am on hold/ waiting for something to happen to me again.

does anyone else feel like that or do you just get used to it.

i know having had depression all my life that i didnt really think about when i would have it again, but with this im afreaid to book my hols etc for the summer, or to go to college, or start a new job.

sorry if i sound disrespectful of the illness:)

T

TOONAFISH

im sitting here laughing to myself as i have just realised what your name says model aero man. i was reading it mo delaer oman. and thinking wtf?

thanks for your reply. so is there maybe a year in between each manic/ depression and the next? does it happen that often or is it alway differnet.

sorry to ask so many questions but the mht dont really answer me.

every week i go to counselling and they say im hung up on a possible diagnosis. which i prob am. how do you know about say booking to go abroad next year. about travelling through time zones etc. there is so much stuff i want to do with my life and feel like this bloody illness is taking over a tad.

did you talk to your folks

T

TOONAFISH

hey sky blue

i have had depression since my teens too and went completly off the rails, i nearly got thrown out of my house i was that bad, and nearly ended up in jail too. settled down a bit then after having kids it all came to a head again. i just wish i knew if i had it or not. i dont know why that would make it easier but it just would.

thanks for your relpy that has helped x

Modelaeroman

Modelaeroman

Hey Toonafish,

LOL no problem with the name, I have taken up model aircraft making, Airfix and the like, as a way of relaxing, I find it really helps during the low times. I have an 8x6 foot shed which is all decked out with heating and electricity and work benches and everything you can think of really. I can go and shut myself away in there and get lost in painting parts that I can't even see they are so small :p. I have the same trouble with planning things, the last time I went on holiday was probably 18 years ago, since then I have tried very hard to plan holidays or social events but it comes to the big day and I bottle out and end up being left at home on my own while everyone else goes off on a nice break or a night out etc. I simply don't bother anymore and spend most of my time alone making my models.

I also find that I worry if I wake up in the morning and im not feeling down or manic and think to myself what's wrong, why am I not feeling ill today ? It's almost like you will yourself to be ill, it's pure madness.

I have counselling again tomorrow which is great I really need to talk about the comments my parents made about spending money etc I have real trouble trying to talk to them without getting worked up and having a massive argument because they don't or won't understand.

And I find that the time in between the different moods really is totally random, for me anyway, I have some days when I rapid cycle and can be manic at say 9am and at 5pm im in a huge depression. It's a terrible thing to live with, I stupidly have been trying to control it myself, the MHU and my counsellor reckon I have been bipolar since birth, I have been told by my parents and relatives I used to have the most awful temper tantrums for no reason when I was young and was violent at times as well, striking out at people.

Anyway enough of that !!!

All the best

Kev:)

Last edited: