• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

how long does it take for the side effects of tiredness with lithium to settle down?

A

arturo

I have a job and I used to be on sodium valproate and fluoxetine - I have moved across to try lithium even though my kidneys are not that good and I'm stressing on how tired I am and how I can work if /i am that tired.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I gave up on Lithium after about 9 months or so because the tired 'zombie' feeling didn't change and I didn't want to stay that way. I changed to Valproate.
That being said, this may not be the case for you. If you've only been on it a little while it may just be the adjustment to it. The only way is to give it a bit of time and once you are at the required levels see how you are then. If you're still feeling too tired ask for a change of some kind.
Valproate and Fluoxetine is a combination I've not seen much of, what did that do to you with regards to mood and energy/motivation?

A

arturo

I gave up on Lithium after about 9 months or so because the tired 'zombie' feeling didn't change and I didn't want to stay that way. I changed to Valproate.
That being said, this may not be the case for you. If you've only been on it a little while it may just be the adjustment to it. The only way is to give it a bit of time and once you are at the required levels see how you are then. If you're still feeling too tired ask for a change of some kind.
Valproate and Fluoxetine is a combination I've not seen much of, what did that do to you with regards to mood and energy/motivation?
thanks for replying to me that's so awesome. i feel like i have ended up on combinations by accident more than design. i have been on SSRIs for over 25 years so i think that's why they don't take me off it. wow that is seriously comforting. i could go back to valproate if i can't pull it together. any thoughts on an appropriate waiting time would be amazing. i have diagnosed complex ptsd as well as BD. but it's so tricky because life intervenes. i am also in recovery from self medicating. 2 years sober. i guess i should be putting that on my intro. anyway thanks heaps!!!!!!!!!!

A

arturo

thanks for replying to me that's so awesome. i feel like i have ended up on combinations by accident more than design. i have been on SSRIs for over 25 years so i think that's why they don't take me off it. wow that is seriously comforting. i could go back to valproate if i can't pull it together. any thoughts on an appropriate waiting time would be amazing. i have diagnosed complex ptsd as well as BD. but it's so tricky because life intervenes. i am also in recovery from self medicating. 2 years sober. i guess i should be putting that on my intro. anyway thanks heaps!!!!!!!!!!
but in regards to the combo it has been good because valproate is kind of flexible in terms of slightly adjusting dlose.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I've seen that Fluoxetine is used with Olanzapine, and to good effect too, but never seen mention of it with Valproate. Interesting approach that one. Anyway, reaching your therapeutic levels takes a couple of months or so? I can't remember exactly now, but I'd give it a few months after you've got to that point as anything before that is the Lithium not yet at the level in your system where it can actually do anything useful. Beyond that it's a case of saying to yourself "Do I feel better on this drug? Can I manage on this drug?" If you can then stick with it, if not then by all means ask for the change.

What do you struggle with most, the depressive end of things? mania? mixed? Rapid cycling?

A

arturo

I've seen that Fluoxetine is used with Olanzapine, and to good effect too, but never seen mention of it with Valproate. Interesting approach that one. Anyway, reaching your therapeutic levels takes a couple of months or so? I can't remember exactly now, but I'd give it a few months after you've got to that point as anything before that is the Lithium not yet at the level in your system where it can actually do anything useful. Beyond that it's a case of saying to yourself "Do I feel better on this drug? Can I manage on this drug?" If you can then stick with it, if not then by all means ask for the change.

What do you struggle with most, the depressive end of things? mania? mixed? Rapid cycling?
i ramp up over time, get a true load done, then i crash and become very suicidal. the thing that i struggle with is rage and acting out - sometimes it's misdirected - and i really struggle with paranoia and fear and sadness - and with wanting it to be over and the impacts that has on people who need me. so it is a long cycle. not much sleep for maybe three four months, do amazing things, then i'm messed up and can't recover and end up doing the dark side for a few months. i have a vocation that kind of rewards my manic periods. so i get paid to do that routine. and always was kind of rewarded for being obsessive and intense in terms of achievements. all that bs. then i get sick. and as i get older it is worse. so yea. some days it really sucks to be diverse and some days i am all good and enjoy tapping into the multi faceted fantango!!! i was on fluoxetine 20, valproate 1500, epilum 500, valium 20mg last round. but i've been on lots of different ones. olanzapine i found good for a few days then i went real real dark. so i came off it quick smart. Atm i just want to try epilum. see if it helps. i am not the most compliant with meds, and also not the worst. i am always aiming to be as stable as i can on as low a dose as possible. however, i am only two weeks out of the wards. i find it hard to accept still.

A

arturo

sorry to bang on. it's just hard to know isn't it. lithium is the last drug i think i haven't given a crack. but it's good to know i could go back on sodium valproate if it doesn't work. it might sound ridiculous but i can't tell you how comforting that is. thank you wishbone

Wishbone

Wishbone

The problem you may have there is that if you haven't been taking your meds as you should then this looks to the doc like those meds don't work for you and they'll be less likely to put you on them again if that's the case. You can decide what you do or do not take, but they decide what options you have within that. So if Valproate is what you want you need to let them know that and also admit that you haven't stayed compliant with them etc, but maybe give the Lithium a chance if you can, just be mindful of the compliance side of things because you won't be able to skip that.
How long have you been on the Lithium?

A

arturo

The problem you may have there is that if you haven't been taking your meds as you should then this looks to the doc like those meds don't work for you and they'll be less likely to put you on them again if that's the case. You can decide what you do or do not take, but they decide what options you have within that. So if Valproate is what you want you need to let them know that and also admit that you haven't stayed compliant with them etc, but maybe give the Lithium a chance if you can, just be mindful of the compliance side of things because you won't be able to skip that.
How long have you been on the Lithium?
only two weeks

Wishbone

Wishbone

Well you're definitely in the adjustment phase then. Give it some time and see how things go.