• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How long do your voices last for ?

P

pollypocket88

My ocd affects me daily but the voices can last for days and then go away and come back on top of dealing with my ocd daily .

how long does every one else’s voices last for are they constant ?

how do you deal with them ?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
My voice is constant, never shuts up for longer than than five minutes and getting those five minutes is very rare, usually only a really good TV show or movie will get me that time without hearing him. It's been like this for nearly four and a half years.

How I cope? Good TV and movies that get me my five minutes of peace and lots of meds that reduce his volume to but a whisper.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

im lucky enough to have never heard voices and im sorry you do ,my heart really goes out to you it must be awful xx
welcome to the forum love Lu x

EarthChild

EarthChild

I hear voices about once a week or so (sometimes once a day or month, depending on my severity of symptoms). When I do hear voices, they come for about 10-20 mins or so at a time, then fade. Sometimes it's a whisper but other times they scream and make me very distressed and cry.

Passionflower

Passionflower

I hear voices every day for the majority of the day. They comment on what I am doing a lot of the time, and they insult me some of the time too. Occasionally they tell me to hurt myself or others but I never act on them.

mandy125

mandy125

Hello I hear voice s most of the time even more so now iam coming off of meds. I also hear them in the background when I have headphones on x

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

The male voice is gay for me. It is so irritating. I guess it might be a little funny but it is true.

P

pollypocket88

Yesterday I was feeling very distressed I felt like a breeze blow past me my hair lifted up I heard whispers and then saw the devil I was petrified I called cris team and they tried to talk me round . Then This morning I was awoken by some thing running past me my partner was fast asleep my dog was fast asleep . I then felt the devilish presence and I heard him laughing at me the devil telling me horrible things I struggled I couldn’t Sleep . My mental health nurse has said she’s recommended to the doctor I need to go on a depo medication as I’m on quatiapine and I’m not taking it properly .

thank you every one for sharing your experiences with me it makes me feel like im not alone .

J

jerseyguy77

the voice I hear never shuts up, ....constant chattering, but if I'm busy, such as at my work and my focus is very strong on something, I might get a few hours a day where I don't hear the voice at all....now if I could just learn to control my focus like that all the time, I think I'd be able to block it out even more. It's when I'm in bed at night that I'm a sitting duck and most vulnerable to being disturbed by the voice

Spooky tooth

Spooky tooth

If I’m really unlucky it starts in the daytime with its trademark grunt of “Scared “ if I’m just unlucky , the same noise as it gets towards dusk .
If I’m terribly unlucky it announces its vileness early upon waking & already I long for my Zopiclone ( peace ) .
I counteract it with some music or a documentary to concentrate on with headphones & it will then try to distract me & steal my attention .
It’s like some childish moronic game of cat & mouse but if I’m not careful I can end up literally bored to tears & thinking about relapsing .

Ras

Ras

they never really leave. One is always there or a few at a time or all talking over one of the other. I look forward to the times where i just hear whispers though

EdEd

EdEd

The voices leave me alone throughout most of the day , I dont have to deal with them too much anymore.. I suppose the medication is doing its job on that part. With everything being taken into account I would say things are almost the way I want them.. just alittle bit more to go and I should have some more clarity and have optimal thinking conditions.

I deal with the voices when they do occur , by ignoring them , a majority of the time. Or listening to music , watching tv , or distracting myself and my train of thought and applying it to something else.. when I hear voices I try not to allow what they say to effect myself or my train of thought.. but if they do effect my train of thought I dont fret over it. In the past I would try my hardest to not allow the voices to effect my train of thought and when they did effect it I would get discouraged.. but now everything flows more nicely and I try not to get discouraged regarding hearing voices.. they're gone though for the most part however and I hope they stay pleasantly absent.