• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How long before meds take effect?

R

RollingJovi

Hi there,

I have recently become unwell and i am hearing increased voices and was seeing things too. I had urges to do bad things but managed to resist it, it was assessed by the home treatment team and they took me on but in the end I ended up in hospital for 7 days on the psychiatric ward. I am now released back to Home Treatment Team and I am currently taking Abilify 25mg when I used to be on 15mg and also they've added Citolapram 20mg to try lift my mood.

I'm glad to be back at home and HTT are seeing me twice a day, I was just wondering how long before I start to feel a difference with the new and increased meds in other peoples personal experiences?

I feel low today and I'm alone at home for most of the day so I am looking forward to the HTT visiting. Also, I was discarged back to my GP before and I told them this would happen yet they never listened and now a few weeks of being discharged I'm back in hospital or was.

Please could anyone give me any advice or information on my next steps as I am wanting a care co-ordinator back to help me keep on top of things. I do realise cut backs are in place with this government but I'm desperate.

Many thanks in advance.

F

flatz

How long have you been diagnosed with schizophrenia?

Have you ever been in denial?

R

RollingJovi

I was diagnosed in 2010 with paranoid schizophrenia

fazza

fazza

Hey try and stay strong the increase in abilify should kick in soon. If you start feeling really unwell you should go to A/E. That is what I did back in 2010 and I was in hospital through the summer.
Are there any activities you can get involved in to help to take your mind off your symptoms. Being alone with voices must be really difficult to deal with. I am sure others here will add to what I have said and I hope you start to feel the benefit of the increased meds soon.

You really should have a c.p.n after the home treatment team discharge you.

Gajolene

Gajolene

For my boys the benefits of the changed medications usually kick in within the first month, can take 3-6 months to really feel the full benefits of the medications. I know this is really difficult when getting your paranoid irrational beliefs under control. Try to be really patient with yourself, and I agree with fazza that you should have an aftercare person to monitor you and make sure the meds are taking effect properly.

S

switch

Try joining a hearing voices group there must be quite a few around by where you live :)

Kerome

Kerome

For me changes in medication can be felt initially within a few days, but the effect won't be fully felt for up to a month afterward. It depends on the medication, when I was taking Risperidone it was a bit quicker, now on Orap it is a bit slower, but it's in the same ballpark.

B

bonobo

Took months for my Venlafaxine to kick in.

Stay strong, my friend xx

N

natalie

Hi,

I can't honestly remember now, how long it took for the Abilify on 25ml, to kick in, I think it was a good couple of months, and I definitely swear by this dose. Now the p-docs as they are known, on here, started me off on lower doseages of Abilify, from 5, 10, and 15 and 20ml, all of which weren't doing my anxiety and paranoia any good. Nor hearing voices, I hascent to add. Anyway, 25ml then came along, and I was really frightened of the fact I'd be away on holiday with parents, and the doses wouldn't have properly kicked in. After having been placed on 25ml, allowing for a couple of months for kicking in, I literally do swear by this dose. It certainly helps hearing voices wise, controls my anxieties and paranoia levels, very very well.

If I can vouch further, yes, you ought to see about hearing voices groups in your districts, and it just so happens I always have used self help skills managements, I workout to fitness dvds, and my mother introduced me to the world of Haberdashery, so I happily do that, along side combined with my walkman on.

Oh yes, i forget to add, I have been on Abilify at 25ml, since February 2011 or 2012, this was why I couldn't easlily remember how long it took before kicking in.

How about a Occupational Therapist, he or she, should be able to assist you back, into the community.

I hope it all goes well.

Take care,

Natalie.

R

RollingJovi

Many thanks to everyone who has offered their support and information. My dose of Abilify has been increased to 30mg which I think is the maximum dosage that anyone can take. I hope to feel better with the anti-depressants and extra abilify too.

I attend a Hearing Voices Group already and that really helps.

N

natalie

HI,

I wouldn't know what dose you were on previously, I am very much glad however, that your dose has now been increased to 30mg. Yes, that is the highest dose, maximum which anyone can take, it just so happens that I always take my doseage of 25mg, and I swear by this level of doseage, works extremely well for my paranoia/and anxiety levels. When I'm very physically, my hearing voices are very well behaved. Except for when I'm very tired allowing for travel to and from my charity community centre in which I'm a member and volunteer of, then my voices can start, up very quickly, I usually overcome this aspect, apart from the fact I'm on med, with listening to music, getting my needlework done, or I'll workout to fitness dvds. Everyone has their own methods.

I'm glad to hear that you are already attending Hearing Voices Group, hope they continue to of benefiicial to you.

I'm just wondering, how about volunteering, that could be able to give you theraputic, and reeping awards depending which work you could volunteer in, and improve your skills, via within the community?

I'm pleased that you wish or you're hoping to have a care-cordinator, I wish you well with that - keep us posted, I'd be interested to know how you'll get on.

Take care now,

Natalie.

R

RollingJovi

I've been discharged now from the hospital ward and back with the Home Treatment Team (HTT) I'm still on the maximum dose of Abilify 30mg and been on Citalopram 20mg for about 2 weeks now. I have noticed that the voices have damped down a bit and my mood has lifted and people say I look brighter and more alert which the doctor said could be a number of factors such as hospital, HTT, family/friend support & medication.

But what I'm confused about is in the hospital discharge notice my diagnosis has changed from Paranoid Schizophrenia to Depression with psychosis. So, does that mean it's now Psychotic Depression?

Has anyone had a diagnosis change before?