How long are your manic periods lasting?

P

Pigsyjug

So I was with my psychiatrist on Monday and came out feeling exhausted.
On Wednesday I wake to an explosive manic episode.
Must have slept about 4hrs across 4 days....my eyes were so painful and swollen....but as usual I felt amazing.
Rode the wave hard and enjoyed it as I usually do....makeup and hair were amazing.
Have woken today to a hard brickwall of nothingness.
Here I am as low as can be.....so am interested to know....how long do your manias last and do you always feel them coming??

P

Pigsyjug

Another question - How soon after the mania do you start to mourn it?
Its not instant for me...I have the disruption etc and then I start to mourn.

P

Pigsyjug

How long do your manic episodes last?
Can you feel yourself escalating?

P

Pigsyjug

Once I start getting really vivid music to play in my head then I know it is coming.
Amazing how it comes on isn't it. If Im feeling 'risky' any fast music can be enough to start the spiraling. Before I know it Im working out for hrs....my poor back doesn't know whats hit it!

K

Kelly B

So I was with my psychiatrist on Monday and came out feeling exhausted.
On Wednesday I wake to an explosive manic episode.
Must have slept about 4hrs across 4 days....my eyes were so painful and swollen....but as usual I felt amazing.
Rode the wave hard and enjoyed it as I usually do....makeup and hair were amazing.
Have woken today to a hard brickwall of nothingness.
Here I am as low as can be.....so am interested to know....how long do your manias last and do you always feel them coming??
Since I have bipolar 1 my manic episodes usually lasted about 4 months. Then a year or more of debilitating depression followed. Before my last manic episode, I had an uncomfortable feeling of foreboding. Something was coming I just didn’t know what. Initially it was terrifying then after that it was party time. 🤷🏻‍♀️

P

Pigsyjug

Just had two manic episodes almost back to back....two days respite inbetween.
That is a first for me and it seems the shorter the episode the more intense it is.

Exhausting and the second one I was fearful the entire time....hadn't managed to recuperate after the first one and my mind and body were knackered.

N

Nina998

My manic or hypomanic episodes usually last weeks (2-4) or months (1-3). I also suffer from mixed episodes when I have short hypomanic stages or symptoms in the middle of depression, could be just a few hours or few days.

I recognize some warning signs but I usually take them seriously when it's already too late. My warning signs are usually irritation, racing thoughts and trouble sleeping. But I do recognize mania, most of the times, so I seek for medical attention and get help stopping it. Usually my depression turns into mania over night so I get help very fast if I am hospitalized.

For me, mania is not all fun and games. It's a consuming state. I feel super and like I am going crazy but I've got no means or urge to stop myself. It's like I am watching myself, out of my body, doing crazy stuff and the sensitive me shouting to stop but the manic me ignores. Does this make any sense?

P

Pigsyjug

Yes it makes sense, like your a passenger?
I've just had two back to back manic episodes, which is a new one for me. The second episode I spent terrified and because I had nothing in the tank left to try and fight it well, it was so scary and in an exhausted state absolutely nerve wracking.

FunkTheFear

FunkTheFear

Mine have gone
I'm mourning it
Only time I felt good n happy
Used to be 2 weeks

S

Skynet

I suddenly became manic yesterday and it lasted an hour or so. It happened for the first time in years and was caused by the escitalopram I am taking for OCD.

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Bristol, TN/VA, USA (near mountains and 6 hours fr
Mine are too risky and scary to let loose the reins. I take medications that keep mood swings moderated. Sometimes when I do get a little manic, I let it be as it usually involves pursuing an interest I love but I quickly become exhausted and then have to take days to sleep it off. I have mixed episodes and amnesia if mine are let run...the worst, no thanks.