How it feels to be diagnosed with autism later in life

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
heard a rumour that dwp decision makers are advised if a schitzoprenic isn't better in 2yrs they won't get bettter, autism can be a high functioning illness

had a friend who'd be on about hypermanic episodes of an affective nature, took it seriously then he had a tribunal, they sent him the paperwork, the gp had said paranoid schitzoprenia

S

simonr1978

I'm genuinely curious about how you approach getting a diagnosis in later life. I'm in my early 40s now and I think there's a strong possibility that I'm somewhere on the mild end of the autistic spectrum. I worked through one of the OU's free courses recently which was about understanding autism and was struck how most of the symptoms they mentioned applied, even if only relatively mildly, to me. I've done a few online tests and even allowing for confirmation bias I score quite highly (Usually well into the "Probable/Likely" end of the criteria), although I also score quite highly in similar tests for being a sociopath (Not conflating the two issues, but there seems to be a degree of cross-over in my case at least).