• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How is your memory and concentration affected by depression?

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I can watch a two-hour movie in the movie theater and have no idea what the plot of the movie is. I can't summarize the movie in a single sentence. I might be able to recall the name of one of the main characters, but that's a stretch. I've just seen the new James Bond movie "No Time To Die" for the fourth time. I still don't know what the movie is about.

When I'm using my smartphone or tablet and I think of something else to do on it, when I'm ready to "switch gears," I forget what I wanted to do next. I just chalk it up to my depression and try not to let it get me down. (I'm already down because of my depression.)
🤪🤪🤪

2Much2Feel

I can watch a two-hour movie in the movie theater and have no idea what the plot of the movie is. I can't summarize the movie in a single sentence. I might be able to recall the name of one of the main characters, but that's a stretch. I've just seen the new James Bond movie "No Time To Die" for the fourth time. I still don't know what the movie is about.

When I'm using my smartphone or tablet and I think of something else to do on it, when I'm ready to "switch gears," I forget what I wanted to do next. I just chalk it up to my depression and try not to let it get me down. (I'm already down because of my depression.)
🤪🤪🤪
You are so funny. Yes, it contributes a lot, I believe. Either that or I'm displaying early signs of some other cognitive issue. I can hardly sit through a movie when I'm depressed; I almost always stick to something an hour or less. I can't concentrate enough to read, and as you say with your film, half the time I have no idea what I've been watching. Doesn't help to have a teenager be able to recite every damn line back to you and make you feel just dismal.

My shrinks have told me severe depression can hurt our memory as much as 50%.

At least w the James Bond film, you can somewhat have a roundabout idea of what it was about, lol. xx

jajingna

jajingna

Sometimes makes it hard to get into something and stay with it for long. Seem to need breaks. I'm glad enough to go a half hour or more when watching something or reading. If it is interesting to me then it is easier to stay with or get back into after a break.

M

Mistral

Yes my memory was affected when I was suffering from severe clinical depression, but has been getting better over the last few years. It was the sequence in which things occurred that was mostly affected. Even though my memory has improved from those days, I think that my memory has been affected a little permanenty. Maybe 5-10%. I am in my sixties now and do get "senior moments" such as going up the stairs and then stopping half way up as I have forgotten the reason for going up in the first place. I suspect most people of my age get moments like this.

S

SadRainbow

Former member
My memory and concentration are pretty awful at the moment.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Oh, definitely. I used to have a really good memory. Semi-photographic and often annoyingly detailed.

Now...nope. If I'm highly attuned to something and focused on it, interested in it and in an ok enough mood to be engaged in it, then I'll have that good detailed and easy recall again.

But 90% of the time, I live life in a fog. I'm too anxious to enjoy anything so I can't get engaged or interested, and thus I can't focus. I never read anymore. I just feel mentally exhausted and bored a lot. Too much stuff is taking up space in my brain so there's less room for focus and attention, and without those things, you can't really produce a memory.

S

SadRainbow

Former member
Oh, definitely. I used to have a really good memory. Semi-photographic and often annoyingly detailed.

Now...nope. If I'm highly attuned to something and focused on it, interested in it and in an ok enough mood to be engaged in it, then I'll have that good detailed and easy recall again.

But 90% of the time, I live life in a fog. I'm too anxious to enjoy anything so I can't get engaged or interested, and thus I can't focus. I never read anymore. I just feel mentally exhausted and bored a lot. Too much stuff is taking up space in my brain so there's less room for focus and attention, and without those things, you can't really produce a memory.
Oh how I miss reading! 😩