• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How Introverts Interact With The World Differently Than Extroverts

shaky

shaky

Oh those are good.
I've worried at times that I'm not an introvert, but now I understand it better I see that I am.
The performing bit was so me. I like being on stage, the attention doesn't trouble me, I lap it up - but afterwards, when the chit chat gets going - then I become withdrawn and a bit scared.
And telephones I hate
and so much more is just me
:rolleyes:

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have a horrible feeling that I am not really an introvert at all, it is just that I have been depressed, anxious and had appalling social skills for so long I have become that way.

I mean I am quite a big mouth supermassive ego on here where no one can see me, but if anyone met me irl I am a mouse and would have nothing to say.

shaky

shaky

I have a horrible feeling that I am not really an introvert at all, it is just that I have been depressed, anxious and had appalling social skills for so long I have become that way.

I mean I am quite a big mouth supermassive ego on here where no one can see me, but if anyone met me irl I am a mouse and would have nothing to say.
You're not a big mouth super ego on here ! :unsure:

Also
How you behave online is not a relfection of how you are in real life - methinks
The stimulation of an onscreen life is contained and in your control - so it doesn't reduce us introverts to quivering wrecks
but try the same as we do here in the real world and it would be overwhelming.

Or you might be shy instead of interoverted.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I was a shy anxious child. I was always quite "bubbly" (wrong word but can't think of a better one) with friends though. People I felt comfortable with.

I think I may not actually be introverted, it might be the depression. But that has become my personality now. :unsure:

shaky

shaky

I was a shy anxious child. I was always quite "bubbly" (wrong word but can't think of a better one) with friends though. People I felt comfortable with.

I think I may not actually be introverted, it might be the depression. But that has become my personality now. :unsure:
I can be the soul of the party with a tiny party (no more than 6) and all people I know well.
I was a quiet shy boy in public, but loud enough at home where I was safe.

T

Topcat

This is me also, until it isn't, then I spend my energy without thinking and suddenly get angry.

rubyrose

rubyrose

Oh yeah, that's totally me. Dreading and hating phone calls, carefully thinking through what I want to say before I say it, being uncomfortable in crowds, hanging close to exits, etc. I definitely have that breaking point where I feel really tired interacting with others and I feel the need to break away, isolate myself, shut down, and recharge.

Thanks for posting, Gajolene :)

Gajolene

Gajolene

There are a few reasons I am introverted, neglect in childhood, and bullying,abuse made me shy and fearfull. In marriage and I was with him from age 15, Hubby didn't allow me to have my own friends, I learned to block emotions and internalize, when I divorced I was focusing on parenting and safety and moved many times from being stalked. I think my environment was the main driving force that taught me self reliance, hypersensitivity, to not reach out for help. Now almost 50 I don't think I could be extroverted no matter how much therapy I go through, but I have learned to appreciate myself and be comfortable cocooned in my home, with my online friends to lean on for support when I need it. It's never been the life I strove for, but it's definately who I've become.