• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How important have beauty routines been for you when you're severely depressed?

M

Ms_Slyboots

Mental health professionals and institutions emphasize the importance of self-care, but they fail to take into account the importance of beauty routines for many patients. Are there beauty routines and rituals that help ground you and give you some sense of normalcy? For me, applying lipstick and flat-ironing my hair have been--and continue to be--very important.

J

Jules5

I long for the days I use to care about how I look. I sit here and have not brushed my hair or fixed it forever. Everything has become a routine with no enjoyment. This is where depression will take you. I am glad you care about yourself and are keeping up with Beauty.

I do think that beauty care is extremely important. I am so glad you brought it up. Very very important to look nice and feel clean all over. I look at the elderly and myself and they can no longer care for themselves. I am sure a beauty treatment would bring them up and about Thanks for caring.

J

Jules5

Welcome to the forum Lots of hugs and love

I

indigo6

Theyre important to do for he routine and distraction.
If I have had a not sure/middle road day the routine can lift me a little.
At my worst they did nothing and I didnt bother unless I was going out. In which case it had about as much importance as wiping toothpaste off my jumper-a necessity to avoid embarrassment.
I know I definitely look neater with some polish as I call it so it becomes second nature like wiping over shoes. However because I have serious issue with how I look Im never truly happy.

R

Rea

When I am doing really bad I wake up in the morning with pretty visible dark circles under my eyes and I am really pale...

I apply then a little bit of concealer, foundation, and eyeliner and I feel immediately better... It's like I am able to erase the signs of my sufferance...

I wish that I could have the money for affording beauty treatments (like manicure) because it helps me a lot but I don't have every day the motivation for taking care of myself...

I

indigo6

It's like I am able to erase the signs of my sufferance...

I wish that I could have the money for affording beauty treatments (like manicure) because it helps me a lot but I don't have every day the motivation for taking care of myself...
:hug:

Would u do your own Rea? Save money too. Taking off or cleaning nails first is painstaking but I use those pots with remover soaked sponges instead(the fastest easiest ever way)
Pick lovely colour, whatever feels right.
When I paint my nails I always feel a bit better.

R

Rea

Would u do your own Rea?
I try to paint my nails every weekend using a good quality nail polish that lasts at least a couple of days.

I also feel better when I paint my nails, but I am not always in the mood of doing it :(

P

Pollypop

When I’m severely depressed I can’t even work beyond washing my
hands and face, cleaning my teeth using deodorant and talc and clean underwear.
I’ll drag a comb through my hair but hardly ever look in the mirror.

However I know how different I would feel if I could make the effort.

I

indigo6

Yeah I know Ive been there and dip in and out still. I have had to learn to be my own manager or teacher, took a long time and I dont always listen.

S

sadpunchingbag

it gives me a sense of pride even the smallest sense of taking the time to be presentable they say cleanliness is 2nd to godliness right ? or something like that i sort of see how and why its so important to maintain some lv of sanity while in hospital

I

indigo6

it gives me a sense of pride even the smallest sense of taking the time to be presentable they say cleanliness is 2nd to godliness right ? or something like that i sort of see how and why its so important to maintain some lv of sanity while in hospital
Yes its true, cleanliness does have some kind of lifting effect.

P

pollypocket88

I got so bad with my anxiety , ocd and ptsd I didn’t brush my hair for a year and last year I had to have most of it cut because of it . I have some days where I don’t even have a bath or care bout my looks . When I was always very glamourous I would go to the salon for my hair twice a week , I would have my nails done , I went to spas I had the best clothes but since my mental health declined I don’t go any where like that now makes me anxious this last two weeks on new meds has made me feel better and I have been doing my hair styling it and having nice hot baths each day and I’m feeling better for it .

JessisMe

JessisMe

I stopped wearing makeup in October when my recent major depression set in and am
just starting to have interest in it now. In the past I have avoided brushing my hair so much that knots formed and they were so big I had to remove ten inches of my hair to eliminate them. I just recently dyed and cut my hair after having no desire to give attention to this area for months so I’d say it’s right up there as an extension of self care for me.

P

Purpleplum

I've always fixed my hair, put on makeup no matter how I feel. I big on routines I guess. Never cared about doing nails....I don't like to draw attention to my hands. They're more like work hands- not delicate girly hands.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I got so bad with my anxiety , ocd and ptsd I didn’t brush my hair for a year and last year I had to have most of it cut because of it . I have some days where I don’t even have a bath or care bout my looks . When I was always very glamourous I would go to the salon for my hair twice a week , I would have my nails done , I went to spas I had the best clothes but since my mental health declined I don’t go any where like that now makes me anxious this last two weeks on new meds has made me feel better and I have been doing my hair styling it and having nice hot baths each day and I’m feeling better for it .
Wonderful!!! :hug: