• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How high does your heart rate get during an "episode"?

wildharpo

wildharpo

Hey guys,

I've been struggling off and on with panic disorder and anxiety for over ten years now. My biggest issue - particularly lately - has been the occurrence of random episodes where I will usually be roused from sleep (about an hour or less after falling asleep) with a rapid heart rate that can sometimes be as high as 170 BPM or more. Up until now, after a few minutes of deep breathing, I've been able to get it to come back down near or below 100 BPM (and eventually back to baseline of 70ish BPM).

I wore a Holter monitor a few months ago that caught one of these episodes and determined that I was in a normal sinus rhythm the entire time. I had an echo last week that showed a structurally normal heart with trivial to mild atrial regurgitation (which my cardiologist said did not need treatment and we would simply do a follow-up in a year to look for any changes - which he didn't expect). I've had prior stress tests, EKGs, a cardiac event monitor, and blood work all come back normal as well.

For those of you that have panic attacks out of the blue, does your heart rate ever get that high? I want desperately to believe that there's no sort of underlying, dangerous arrhythmia that has been overlooked given the number of tests I've undergone, but that nagging voice of doubt keeps asking "what if"? I'm looking for some reassurance that a panic attack alone can indeed cause a heart rate to go that high for others.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

two months ago my heart went out of rhythm and has been out ever since. freaked me out at first but two months have passed and im not dead yet. the doctors even heard it when i was in surgery and they didnt say anything so i guess its not too big a deal to have a irregular heartbeat. most annoying thing is it bothers me a bit when im lying on my side trying to fall asleep. otherwise it doesnt seem to cause any harm

i used to have high anxiety so maybe i wore it out and now its finally out of whack. i dunno

wildharpo

wildharpo

That's interesting to say the least - best of luck in your case, OmniscientNihilist!

D

DaBridget

Hey guys,

I've been struggling off and on with panic disorder and anxiety for over ten years now. My biggest issue - particularly lately - has been the occurrence of random episodes where I will usually be roused from sleep (about an hour or less after falling asleep) with a rapid heart rate that can sometimes be as high as 170 BPM or more. Up until now, after a few minutes of deep breathing, I've been able to get it to come back down near or below 100 BPM (and eventually back to baseline of 70ish BPM).

I wore a Holter monitor a few months ago that caught one of these episodes and determined that I was in a normal sinus rhythm the entire time. I had an echo last week that showed a structurally normal heart with trivial to mild atrial regurgitation (which my cardiologist said did not need treatment and we would simply do a follow-up in a year to look for any changes - which he didn't expect). I've had prior stress tests, EKGs, a cardiac event monitor, and blood work all come back normal as well.

For those of you that have panic attacks out of the blue, does your heart rate ever get that high? I want desperately to believe that there's no sort of underlying, dangerous arrhythmia that has been overlooked given the number of tests I've undergone, but that nagging voice of doubt keeps asking "what if"? I'm looking for some reassurance that a panic attack alone can indeed cause a heart rate to go that high for others.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
I have had the same tests and nothing. My heart rate and bp go very high during an episode and I become severely panicked further.
I too have not been able to accept it is not an underlying cardiac issue and most night im scared to sleep and most days scared to be alone.