• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How does your Bipolar affect you in your life?

MissPink

MissPink

Hi everyone

I would just like to know more about how it affects you on a daily basis with this illness. Can you work, be around your children and maintain a healthy lifestyle at home?

I have a couple of friends that have it but I just wanted to know how you all cope with it as it's not a nice symptom to have. I ask because I may start dating a guy that has his 3 daughters that live with him 95% of the time and the mum is a changed person, she doesn't look after them. She doesn't work but she lives off a allowance through him, she's apparently having lip fillers, botox, expensive treatments and drinks a awful lot.

She does take medication but when she drinks she gets worse. I know I don't know her. I have my own issues but to not look after your children half of the time or even just (20% of the time) she's more concerned with partying and keeping up with social media trends on Instagram. She's a party girl as well.

Maybe I am over thinking too much. He seems a lovely person that wants to settle down again which is great.

I was ill last year and I struggled having a proper income for 6 months. I have always been a career's person! besides that I had to do jobs I wouldn't normally do! it was such a terrible experience for me! and I am just coping at the moment paying my debt off and it's getting much better. I had no hand outs and I wish I had something because I really needed the help. I had free nhs help and it lasted for about 6 months and it helped then it got worse and I had to be put on the waiting list. Looks like I am comparing myself again but when I hear about someone wants 25 lip fillers I was just thinking if you didn't have a allowance how would you afford £300 lip fillers each time? amazed

Just wondering I wonder if those children may have issues?

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
i don't have any children and I'm not in a realtionship so I only have myself to look after. My meds mostly keep my symptoms in check although I also suffer from severe anxiety and stress can make me depressed. I have a job but I don't manage to work full time so I also get state benefits to cover my most essential bills. When I 'm off my meds I struggle to function. I have tons of energy when I'm hypo but I also have a skewed perception of reality and get an inflated sense of self that can make people angry. Depression is the worst and when I'm at my lowest I don't function at all, just shut down and close myself off from the world.

As for people that are addicted to body beautification like botox and asuch, they often take up loans to cover their bills getting them in to great debt and financial problems later.

Unstable family conditions can lead to emotional and mental trauma that can lead to serious mental health issues. It's important to have responsible and reliable adults around when you're growing up so there is cause for concern. If you're able you should try to talk to the mother and the children, you don't have to be confrontational but the mothe ris an adult and should be able to handle someone adressing their concerns. It may be that the mother is struggling with some mental health problems of her own in which case you should try to convince her to seek help. If she can't act responsible around her children it may be necessary to cut her out of their life, although this may lead to legal disputes that are expensive and often very ugly affairs. Have you voiced your concerns to the father?

MissPink

MissPink

i don't have any children and I'm not in a realtionship so I only have myself to look after. My meds mostly keep my symptoms in check although I also suffer from severe anxiety and stress can make me depressed. I have a job but I don't manage to work full time so I also get state benefits to cover my most essential bills. When I 'm off my meds I struggle to function. I have tons of energy when I'm hypo but I also have a skewed perception of reality and get an inflated sense of self that can make people angry. Depression is the worst and when I'm at my lowest I don't function at all, just shut down and close myself off from the world.

As for people that are addicted to body beautification like botox and asuch, they often take up loans to cover their bills getting them in to great debt and financial problems later.

Unstable family conditions can lead to emotional and mental trauma that can lead to serious mental health issues. It's important to have responsible and reliable adults around when you're growing up so there is cause for concern. If you're able you should try to talk to the mother and the children, you don't have to be confrontational but the mothe ris an adult and should be able to handle someone adressing their concerns. It may be that the mother is struggling with some mental health problems of her own in which case you should try to convince her to seek help. If she can't act responsible around her children it may be necessary to cut her out of their life, although this may lead to legal disputes that are expensive and often very ugly affairs. Have you voiced your concerns to the father?
Hiya thanks for responding.

I haven't got to the stage where I am in a relationship with him. I haven't met him yet. I already felt I was "involved" with him due to his baggage he has.

We got talking last night and he mentioned his eldest child has severe ADHD, I did wonder if his children had any other mental health problems due to their mother being ill. He said that the divorce is going through and its very amicable between them. So that's good however he is well off so money doesn't seem a problem. She can't manage life crisis apparently but she had an affair when she was married and left him 18 months ago because she was no longer in love with him.

I suppose I shouldn't be too concerned as it's not really my problem. Though he told me a lot of issues of what happened and how she got ill. I asked him if he has had therapy and he said yes. I felt off loading your problems on to a new person isn't a great idea to bring someone new into your world.

I have generalized anxiety and don't go on any meds I prefer talking therapy when I can afford it. I understand the strain he's been under with his wife changing as a person. I think if she's drinking so much and living a party lifestyle like a single women. She's been allowed to because the money has never been a problem for her. I did ask him if he was funding her lifestyle he said nothing. I know it's not my business but I think that's what the problem is. She doesn't have enough discipline so she's spending how ever she likes and he has the kids 95% and she's in and out of the children's life.

There are different stages when you get ill. I went through a lot of drinking to get away from my "problems" when I had bad ocd the drink made it worse. I feel she's in her darkest years so far. I don't know her she used to be an amazing mum now she's a different person. So yep stepping into someone's life with all that going on is something I am not sure I want which is the chaos and stress.

Ruma55

Ruma55

Hiya thanks for responding.

I haven't got to the stage where I am in a relationship with him. I haven't met him yet. I already felt I was "involved" with him due to his baggage he has.

We got talking last night and he mentioned his eldest child has severe ADHD, I did wonder if his children had any other mental health problems due to their mother being ill. He said that the divorce is going through and its very amicable between them. So that's good however he is well off so money doesn't seem a problem. She can't manage life crisis apparently but she had an affair when she was married and left him 18 months ago because she was no longer in love with him.

I suppose I shouldn't be too concerned as it's not really my problem. Though he told me a lot of issues of what happened and how she got ill. I asked him if he has had therapy and he said yes. I felt off loading your problems on to a new person isn't a great idea to bring someone new into your world.

I have generalized anxiety and don't go on any meds I prefer talking therapy when I can afford it. I understand the strain he's been under with his wife changing as a person. I think if she's drinking so much and living a party lifestyle like a single women. She's been allowed to because the money has never been a problem for her. I did ask him if he was funding her lifestyle he said nothing. I know it's not my business but I think that's what the problem is. She doesn't have enough discipline so she's spending how ever she likes and he has the kids 95% and she's in and out of the children's life.

There are different stages when you get ill. I went through a lot of drinking to get away from my "problems" when I had bad ocd the drink made it worse. I feel she's in her darkest years so far. I don't know her she used to be an amazing mum now she's a different person. So yep stepping into someone's life with all that going on is something I am not sure I want which is the chaos and stress.
Yeah you have to put your own health and well-being first for sure. I was in a 5 year relationship with a man who’s ex was a nightmare. Her boyfriend used to call him and tell him to hurry up and pay his child support because his truck payment was due. She partied all the time and was a total b***** always.
It’s really hard to be in a relationship with someone who’s involved (either by choice or through children) with a crazy ex. You end up stuck in a weird position where it’s not really your business but it’s hard to stay out of it and not get upset.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

i feel like my bipolar is a small child living inside me i have to babysit all the time. he has alot of mood swings and makes a big deal out of nothing. when i go out i just avoid people and keep him occupied with good music. i have over 3000 hours of work put into my music collection.

T

toto

Are you a bipolar? Because I look at myself in the same way as a child with my fears and desires. Psychosis is like a child's reasoning, especially before, when I believed in nonsense.