• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How does your bi polar make you feel ?

• Thread starter Phillmitchell86
  • Start date
Phillmitchell86

Phillmitchell86

Just want to know more about bi polar as I am awaiting a diagnosis.. how does it make you feel ?

Q

Queenoface

Tired all the time. But I am not sure if its the disorder or the medication. I never have energy or motivation to do anything almost everyday. Its frustrating.

S

SFGuy

Just want to know more about bi polar as I am awaiting a diagnosis.. how does it make you feel ?
Welcome to the board.

I tend toward the bipolar 2 end of the scale. When I didn't have my medication, I had a daily cycle that made me nearly manic, thinking and talking so fast that I couldn't maintain a train of thought. It reached its peak around 2:00, then waned.

When I wasn't hypomanic, I had mixed states -- I would be depressed and manic at the same time. I'd create grandiose goals, then denigrate myself for not achieving them, often within less than 5 minutes. That was exhausting.

I was an insomniac, and often got by on 4-5 hours of sleep.

I have a history of major depressions when I have been consumed with thoughts of suicide, though I never tried.

I also had a weird depression that sucked out my physical energy, caused acute insomnia, and made my hygiene poor, but I didn't feel sad. That only happened once, but it lasted for almost a year.

I have had hypomanic (manic?) periods when I did atypical things and got myself mugged twice when I started hanging out in a bad neighborhood for no good reason.

I went through long periods of daily heavy drinking to settle myself down.

With meds, my daily cycle is muted, I sleep well, I haven't had a depression in at least 4 years, I'm a teetotaler, and my baseline emotional state is stable enough for me to function well.

It took decades to get the right diagnosis & meds have made all the difference.

C

Comorbidity

It depends what it's doing, what environment and people I am around and what my subconscious is doing. I can keep it on the low down by not interacting, stimulus good or bad affects how it behaves, which should be obvious to psychiatrists and mental health teams, but apparently isn't

Amazingly

Amazingly

I’m with @Queenoface
I’m zapped of energy and I’m always tired.
Yeah could be the meds.

B

BlueWater

Welcome to the board.

I tend toward the bipolar 2 end of the scale. When I didn't have my medication, I had a daily cycle that made me nearly manic, thinking and talking so fast that I couldn't maintain a train of thought. It reached its peak around 2:00, then waned.

When I wasn't hypomanic, I had mixed states -- I would be depressed and manic at the same time. I'd create grandiose goals, then denigrate myself for not achieving them, often within less than 5 minutes. That was exhausting.

I was an insomniac, and often got by on 4-5 hours of sleep.

I have a history of major depressions when I have been consumed with thoughts of suicide, though I never tried.

I also had a weird depression that sucked out my physical energy, caused acute insomnia, and made my hygiene poor, but I didn't feel sad. That only happened once, but it lasted for almost a year.

I have had hypomanic (manic?) periods when I did atypical things and got myself mugged twice when I started hanging out in a bad neighborhood for no good reason.

I went through long periods of daily heavy drinking to settle myself down.

With meds, my daily cycle is muted, I sleep well, I haven't had a depression in at least 4 years, I'm a teetotaler, and my baseline emotional state is stable enough for me to function well.

It took decades to get the right diagnosis & meds have made all the difference.
How old were you when you were diagnosed?

Wishbone

Wishbone

Welcome, but if you're awaiting a diagnosis wouldn't you know already?
Or are you looking for things to say when you get assessed?

C

Comorbidity

I’m with @Queenoface
I’m zapped of energy and I’m always tired.
Yeah could be the meds.
It 'could' also be your thyroid function having dropped, in my last mother of all episodes my thyroid function literally dropped off a cliff, I've had no explanation why, it was fine rpior to that episode, never had any issue with it whatsoever, after the episode I need 150 mg of thyroxin a day, my mother only needs 20mg a day and she's 78

If you do have bipolar, it is always absolutely worth getting your Doctor to check your thyroid function, a comprehensive check including T3, mine went from normal to drastically under active through a severe bipolar episode

S

SFGuy

How old were you when you were diagnosed?
59. First symptoms were depression at 8. I had psychotherapy and meds for “anxiety and depression” from my mid-twenties until my diagnosis. Before my DX, antidepressants didn’t help and might have made me worse. Xanax slowed my hypomania a little. Psychotherapy helped sometimes. My current mood stabilizer is what I needed in the first place. Go Depakote!

S

SFGuy

I forgot to mention that my mixed states and ultradian cycle got worse as I got older. Maybe that’s why my various docs didn’t diagnose me earlier.

Amazingly

Amazingly

It 'could' also be your thyroid function having dropped, in my last mother of all episodes my thyroid function literally dropped off a cliff, I've had no explanation why, it was fine rpior to that episode, never had any issue with it whatsoever, after the episode I need 150 mg of thyroxin a day, my mother only needs 20mg a day and she's 78

If you do have bipolar, it is always absolutely worth getting your Doctor to check your thyroid function, a comprehensive check including T3, mine went from normal to drastically under active through a severe bipolar episode
I always get my thyroid levels checked.
Last time it was normal.
But I don’t know what it’s like now.
I got it last checked months ago.

Kotter

Kotter

it makes me feel like i'm in a dream (and sometimes nightmare).

Zero One

Zero One

Right now it's making me feel like I need some really good sleep.

I

InnovatingProfessor

I forgot to mention that my mixed states and ultradian cycle got worse as I got older. Maybe that’s why my various docs didn’t diagnose me earlier.
The same here, the cycle got worse over the years: before my twenties -> no rapid cycling (RC), after that RC and after the age 23 I got ultra(radian) rapid cycling. Can you feel ever normal? :whistle:

---
When I have mania I feel mostly very euforic or happy or silly, have grandiosity or delusions, sleeping can be issue (but thanks too meds not really an issue) and +10 extra symptoms.

Depressions are rare since Lithium.

These episodes could be lasting for weeks, months even years. But if I have my ultra RC cycle it can even cycle in day or week. This makes dealing with it even :stomp:

Phillmitchell86

Phillmitchell86

Welcome, but if you're awaiting a diagnosis wouldn't you know already?
Or are you looking for things to say when you get assessed?
Sorry I don’t understand?