• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How does 'processing trauma' actually means in therapy?

• Thread starter emmaleemochizuki
  • Start date
E

emmaleemochizuki

I know I need to talk about it, and 'process' it.

But what does it mean?

Do I need to talk about it in detail? or how I feel about it?

Where do I start?

N

Nukelavee

or how I feel about it?
More this, I think.

I feel like there is an aspect to discussing our issues where we don't really grasp teh ramifications of what is in our head, until we try to explain it to somebody else. Like, it doesn't crystalize and become clear, even to us, until we actually verbalize it.

Like, we don't realize how intense, or scary, or whatever something was, until we hear it out loud.

To me, processing is the stage after you've said something out loud, and later, all sorts of connections reveal themselves to you, and you begin to see how complex the issue really was, or how it has shaped your life while you were unaware of it.

Like - I finally opened up about being sexually abused as a child - which was hard to say. But, it's been all the other related thoughts about it, seeing where it shaped things, that have been harder to handle.

Does that make sense?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C How long does PTSD last? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
J What does support look/feel like? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
C Does counselling/therapy really help? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 21
A ***TRIGGER WARNING end of life trauma*** Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 7
M Hobbies for while in therapy for trauma Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
lucynah Massive issues with guilt after trauma ***TRIGGER WARNING-Discusses suicide and emotional abuse*** Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 9
L She blames and connects me to her trauma despite all efforts to support. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
F Is it trauma if i keep remembering embarrassing things i did in the past? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 14
A Trauma Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
S Trauma Anniversary And Symptoms Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
M Bullying and trauma Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 6
S Is this PTSD or just trauma? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
K I’m getting trauma therapy! Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 10
L How do I overcome the fearful regret I have from past job which I was terminated from for misconduct? Its like a trauma to me Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 6
Zero One Past Trauma trigger warning Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
C Guilt, trauma of final year in elementary school Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
A Childhood guilt trauma and anxiety Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 7
M How to cope and heal from Trauma? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 7