• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How does it feel after the meds work?

SlowlyUnravels

SlowlyUnravels

Hey everyone, good morning~

I've been on several different antidepressants but the possibility of cyclothimia or bipolar 2 hadn't been raised before (maybe because I didn't report my very high highs, as I thought it was weird but since it's "good" feelings it can't be bad). I've had no luck with my first try, Oxcarbazepine, and I've been hypomanic for the past days I'm wondering how it feels when the medication works (regarding manic/hypomanic episodes, because I have a feel for what attenuating depression feels like). I'm feeling great, excellent, but this much energy makes me feel sick in my stomach and it's hard to do daily stuff. :woohoo:

F

Failing Heart

I have a feeling my meds are still not quite right but I’ll do my best to answer this. I have always found that antidepressants do not affect my hypomania. Mood stabilizers have helped me stabilize a little and anti-depressants somewhat helped keep me out of a really deep depression… Sometimes. I find that the mood stabilizers keep me from going on shopping sprees, and filling out applications for masters programs on the other side of the county at 4am when I can’t sleep. I am also less likely to start a business in a day or have ten unfinished crafts. I deal with disappointment better(that’s a hard emotion for me) and I get slightly less excited for things I normally would be ecstatic about. I know some complain about stunted creativity but I never have had a problem with that. It’s hard to make comparisons because everyone is so different but I hope this helps a little.

R

rawlinsc

I think my medications make me tired. Also the lithium or other mood stabilizers help me be more calm and control my anger and aggression.

F

Failing Heart

I think my medications make me tired. Also the lithium or other mood stabilizers help me be more calm and control my anger and aggression.
I’m wondering if I was too quick to dismiss lithium… I still have a hard time controlling anger

D

Deleted member 95740

After 25 plus years of nearly every antidepressant known to man I still don't know how it feels when they work.

F

Failing Heart

After 25 plus years of nearly every antidepressant known to man I still don't know how it feels when they work.
Bc anti depressants only treat depression....I went through the same thing...then I tried many many mood stabilizers and many of those didn’t work for me either. I know it’s miserable to find the right meds but it’s worth it. It’s different for everyone but I finally felt like myself instead of always being sad, angry, and shot out of a cannon. Good luck friend!

D

Deleted member 95740

Bc anti depressants only treat depression....I went through the same thing...then I tried many many mood stabilizers and many of those didn’t work for me either. I know it’s miserable to find the right meds but it’s worth it. It’s different for everyone but I finally felt like myself instead of always being sad, angry, and shot out of a cannon. Good luck friend!
Thank you 🙂

Bipolarbear808

Bipolarbear808

Hey SlowlyUnravels,

I've been on Abilify, Seroquel, and finally Risperidone for mood stabilizers. I agree with Failing Heart; my current cocktail of medications keep me from binge shopping too. For me, it feels like someone turned the dial down on my emotions, especially anxiety. I stopped getting that burning in my chest type of anxiousness that I had prior to the Risperidone. In the beginning it also helped to keep my intrusive thoughts in check, but that effect has since faded.

As for as hypomania is concerned it keeps me from being extremely angry or extremely depressed or emotionally invested in things like shopping--so If I remember to take my sleep medication (Trazadone) I can usually stay on a normal schedule.

Prior to the medication I used to go on online shoppings sprees and when I would look up an entire night would have gone by and it would already be morning. Hope this gives you some insight on how a mood stabilizer might affect you.