• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How does everyone feel about social media?

A

alexolly2006

I use to be on Facebook and I was quite brave about what I posted regarding my condition and experiences. To try and raise awareness, not sure if it was the right thing to do...

I haven't been on Facebook now for 2 years, I did go on for a few days last week, but soon realised this is a much safer enviroment to share your experiences and to gain knowledge.

I think social media can be dangerous especially for children. People feel as though they need the validation, has someone liked my selfy etc....

I don't know what do you think?

David

N

natalie

HI Alexolly, nice to meet you.

Well, personally i can't and don't do Facebook nor Twitter, so I couldn't comment about this.

You are right however, that to raise awreness about mental h ealth issues, and the like to do with mental health, is much better to go through say channels of MHF, and i also can recommend another smaller forum set, in due course, if need be, no, I'm not about to try and take posters away from MHF, i wouldn't dream of that.

So it is much better, i personally feel, and I have always done, to post and keep posting via MHF, is a much better bet.

I have only just bounced back and recovered from unwell as of last week, and t his week, different set of health problems, so i hope this post, has made sense, to you.

Best Wishes,

Natalie.

A

alexolly2006

Hi Natalie,

Pleased your feeling much better :)

I agree I will stick with the MHF, I have already been given some great ideas on how I can help others. Someone suggested starting a Hearing Voices Group through inter voice in my home town. I am going on holiday at the end of this month, however when I return its something I going to look into.

Last year was a pretty rough year for me, my wife was in Crown Court and gave evidence against a man who sexually abused her as a child, my step son developed Schizoaffective disorder. Luckily I spotted the signs and got him help really quickly. It took them so long to section him though when he desperately needed to be. This was due to drug misuse, I told him only 3 things come from drugs:

1. Madness.
2. Prison.
3. Death.

My wife has struggled with alcoholism for such a long time, I desperately tried to help her. Knowing she was trying to block things out from her childhood. Unfortunately though she was drinking 3 bottles of wine everyday and sadly I was subject to verbal and emotional abuse. I couldn't take it any longer so I left in January of this year. I still miss and love her, but we all have choices Natalie...

You take care

David

A

alexolly2006

And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about.

Quote: Haruki Murakami

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
I think social media has it's place and in terms of promoting positive mental health issues it is a good platform so long as you are feeling resilient enough to cope with no likes or with negative comments. On Facebook your audience is one with less understanding of mental health issues which is good for raising awareness, but exposes you to more risk of stigma and negative reactions.

MHF is a safe space where you can use your experiences to help others without fear of unpleasant reactions. I also like being anonymous because my husband is very private about his mental health problems and I respect that so I would never discuss them on a platform which could identify him. Yet it really helps me to be able to talk to people about the mental health challenges in our lives.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I think many people are getting addicted to social media. My wife started facebook last year and she spends a lot of time looking what everyone else is posting. She doesn't say much on it herself. My son's fiance is totally addicted to it. She puts EVERYTHING that happens in her life on it. I don't do facebook. I like this mental health forum. Sometimes I even put stuff on here that has nothing to do with mental health. I also use the NAMI forum which is based in the U.S. but it gets so little activity (sometimes no posts for days) that I looked for another one and joined this one.

Kerome

Kerome

I’ve so far been very private about my mental health condition, there are a few people in my family who know, my parents and one of my uncles and his wife I’ve told, but the rest of my old friends and family know nothing. A few more recent friends know more but that’s about it.

My social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn identify me to a lot of contacts from my former employments, and so I won’t talk mental health on there. For that I have the MHF, where I am safely anonymous :)

That doesn’t stop me from occasionally using social media - I’m not a big fan - it’s been some years since I was last on Facebook.

A

Agent101g

As long as you have the willpower to keep your meltdowns out of your public Facebook page, I don't see anything wrong with it. I speak from experience.

Check out an episode of Netflix's Black Mirror called Nosedive. I think you might get a kick out of it.

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

Hi David,

I think social media can be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it allows you to connect with people remotely (although some people mistake this "connection" as a replacement for actual human contact). On the other hand, it can cause plenty of issues if not used responsiblyx

Much love <3

sunset547544

sunset547544

I only signed up with facebook about 3 years ago and have less than 20 facebook friends. The thought that people can de-friend me at any moment makes me feel really anxious, and I don't like all the showing off and seeing posts from certain people from my past, it can really turn my stomach. However on the flip side some old school/college friends that I have fond memories of connected with a while back on there and that felt really good, it's nice to see posts from them, especially the uplifting ones liek some silly joke video.

I think the recent thing with the Zuckerberg testifying was kind of like the governments putting these big tech companies down a peg or two like "Don't get any more powerful because we know you will if we let you and we are the boss here ok"

I have always been very careful about what I do on computers/phones because I know it's like potentally anyone and everyone could be watching. Actually, I often like to deliberately input bad information that would confuse the big corporate machines, e.g like into those questionnares on youtube that ask you if you have heard of a brand, just to help fill up their wretched databases with garbage. I don't think I am alone with regards to this, perhaps these companies have a bit too much faith in the accuracy of their data?

Last edited:
Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

i don't use any social media ,1 i don't have enough friends ,2 im boring ,3 it would make me to paranoid
im happy with MH forums x