• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How does everyone cope with the mood swings?

mr_c

mr_c

Ive gone from feeling okish this morning, to fucking crazy now. I dont know how to calm myself down been pacing up and down my ffront rroom for the past hour and now im shaking like a leaf, nuy mind is racing and i dont know how to control it

S

skyblue

Ive gone from feeling okish this morning, to fucking crazy now. I dont know how to calm myself down been pacing up and down my ffront rroom for the past hour and now im shaking like a leaf, nuy mind is racing and i dont know how to control it
If i'm honest, although I now take all of my medication with care after a downfall a month ago, my mind still races constantly,.. crazy, crazy, like a fast spinning washing machine. Pacing is something I often do, I cannot sit still, even whilst writing this, I stop and am distracted by other things around me. Then my mind's elsewhere, I then think "what am I doing sitting infront of the pc ?.. oh yeh, I was replying to a post here. D'oh !"
I too shake quite a lot, I believe this is excess adrenaline, combined with anxiety. I can totally relate to you Mr C. It's very difficult to control it and unfortunately I still do not know the answer as to how to control it fully, without taking Diazepam, Lorazepam etc...
Unfortunately, with our illness Bipolar,.. it's no wonder we used to turn to drink and drugs. I no longer do this now, I've just tried alternatives like exercise (works wonders), I promise you. Infact I did say Diazepam etc will be the only thing, I'm contradicting myself, because exercise works and even better !!. Hard to get started, without a doubt, but once you start getting used to it, it's a great way to relax.

I hope you find something that works for you soon. At this very moment, I'm unable to exercise because I have my son's friends round for his birthday and I feel just like you do right now. I'm finding it very difficult too.

Pm me, if you like.

All the best xx:flowers:

P.S. Am sorry if this doesn't make much sense, but as said my mind's also going racing and 'way' too fast !!

A

Affective

When I used to get in agitated moods, I would lift weights and the energy used of my usual exercise plan would calm me down. Also, if you can't stop moving have you thought about running? This will take the energy out of you and help build endurance. So that way something negative that you feel can be turned to positive.

megirl

megirl

The thing that works for me is trying to slow myself down, deep-breathing and the main thing for me that helps is drugs and sleep

G

gothicminx

Have you tried yoga, tai chi or meditation? Exercise is good for burning of the excess energy.

mr_c

mr_c

If i'm honest, although I now take all of my medication with care after a downfall a month ago, my mind still races constantly,.. crazy, crazy, like a fast spinning washing machine. Pacing is something I often do, I cannot sit still, even whilst writing this, I stop and am distracted by other things around me. Then my mind's elsewhere, I then think "what am I doing sitting infront of the pc ?.. oh yeh, I was replying to a post here. D'oh !"
I too shake quite a lot, I believe this is excess adrenaline, combined with anxiety. I can totally relate to you Mr C. It's very difficult to control it and unfortunately I still do not know the answer as to how to control it fully, without taking Diazepam, Lorazepam etc...
Unfortunately, with our illness Bipolar,.. it's no wonder we used to turn to drink and drugs. I no longer do this now, I've just tried alternatives like exercise (works wonders), I promise you. Infact I did say Diazepam etc will be the only thing, I'm contradicting myself, because exercise works and even better !!. Hard to get started, without a doubt, but once you start getting used to it, it's a great way to relax.

I hope you find something that works for you soon. At this very moment, I'm unable to exercise because I have my son's friends round for his birthday and I feel just like you do right now. I'm finding it very difficult too.

Pm me, if you like.

All the best xx:flowers:

P.S. Am sorry if this doesn't make much sense, but as said my mind's also going racing and 'way' too fast !!
Thanks buddy,

Im recently diagnosed so that aint really helping

Thanks all for your advice

dib4uk

dib4uk

Me and mood siwngs are constant bedfellows, so im not really the best person to give advice but when i go really moody i just try and run the wave of my emotions. Sometimes my moods last for hte day and smetimes they continue to last for a few days, by which time its like a living hell.

G

gothicminx

Music too. Sometimes I wallow and sometimes I dance my way out of it.

R

rasselas

I'll just reinforce the fact that excercise is undoubtedly the best and most effective and of course the healthiest panacea for racing thoughts, anxiety, unhappiness, stress. If you want to become the master of yourself you MUST have DAILY rigorous exercise (heart beating fast, breathing fast) as the CORE of your daily life.

In the absence of exercise you will be worsening your problems. It's the most important part of every person's life but especially for people with mental health problems.

:)

I

Isca

Founding Member
Dear Mr.C.
I'm diagnosed BPD (II), so although I tend to be more 'depressive', I do get crazy swings sometimes.
My mind would be racing so hard; I felt time and my life moving forward too fast. So much so, I had thoughts that if I went to sleep, I would wake up old and in an old people's home! Really scary. When it was bad I had to be hit hard with quetiapine.
I do exercise, but have also found now that I respond well to just 2.5-5mg of periciazine. Most often used in higher doses for folk with schizophrenia. It works within about half an hour, it takes the edge off and then I can enjoy my exercise more.
Not sure how your psychiatrist is, but mine allows supervised experimentation and I am very involved in my own care. For example, I am now taking a supervised break from meds because of weight gain and anger side effects. I take periciazine as I need it, in the interim, whilst I'm working on weight loss. A lot of psychiatrists don't like to allow BiPolar to be treated in this way, i.e. medicating as and when, but mine thought it a good supervised pay-off given that I was becoming so depressed about my weight & anger effects.
Everyone is different of course, but might be worth a try, if you've not tried it before.
All the best & take care, Isca