• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How does a agoraphobia start?

L

Lightning stoorm

Hey I have a diagnosed panic disorder since around half a year.
I felt like it had gotten better, i felt like had become more in control of my panic attacks and my life.
I think in reality my attacks weren’t as bad as before.
A few months after I started having panic attacks I also started having a shaking tremor kinda thing.
Always when i am slightly stressed or walk outside or do exhausting activity’s I start shaking and I immediately thought I was going to have a panic attack. I only left my home if there was no other way and always panicked, but It got better when my panic attacks got more bearable. Now my panic disorder has gotten way worse than before after a awful panic attack, and I had to go buy some stuff and only the thought gave me so much panic that I couldn’t calm down for around 20 minutes and ended up staying home.
So I wanted to ask how agoraphobia started for you guys or if this is something completely different.
Thanks for reading :)

LuxFer

LuxFer

Hey I have a diagnosed panic disorder since around half a year.
I felt like it had gotten better, i felt like had become more in control of my panic attacks and my life.
I think in reality my attacks weren’t as bad as before.
A few months after I started having panic attacks I also started having a shaking tremor kinda thing.
Always when i am slightly stressed or walk outside or do exhausting activity’s I start shaking and I immediately thought I was going to have a panic attack. I only left my home if there was no other way and always panicked, but It got better when my panic attacks got more bearable. Now my panic disorder has gotten way worse than before after a awful panic attack, and I had to go buy some stuff and only the thought gave me so much panic that I couldn’t calm down for around 20 minutes and ended up staying home.
So I wanted to ask how agoraphobia started for you guys or if this is something completely different.
Thanks for reading :)
Not part if my plethora but I have a friend that is agoraphobia. She was a talented singer and her band was on tv at one point.. Not long after she started having panic attacks. Then paranoia accompanied those. After that it was a progression for going out now and then to more rare excursions till eventually she wouldnt walk her dog. It was a gradual processe over months

Beorn the Bear

Beorn the Bear

If someone found out how it actually starts they'd become a multi millionaire.

L

Lightning stoorm

@LuxFer thank you for your answer i hope your friend can Stil enjoy making music :)

L

Lightning stoorm

@Beorn the Bear I guess your right I should have worded it better more in a sense of how it starts for people who have it, the process...

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Mine was started when i had a huge panic attack in a supermarket. I was so embarrassed and had to be helped out the store. I couldnt go into that supermarket for two years after that but i was so scared of having another panic attack that i avoided going anywhere. I find it difficult to cope with having people around me. After lots of therapy and medication i can go out but only go when its essential. My social life has all but died.
It’s a big misunderstanding that people think agoraphobia is a fear of open spaces . I would happily go out if i knew I wouldn’t meet anyone. Most people with agoraphobia suffer severe anxiety

L

Lightning stoorm

@daffy thanks for your reply.
I do avoid places where I had panic attacks some just for a while and to some I still don’t Go. But it was never so extrem. Thanks for answering :)

MarieRose

MarieRose

I stopped going out due to panic attacks after being bullied I lost trust in people and couldn't go out for fear of being ridiculed or teased or attacked by strangers I might meet so for years I wouldn't leave my home not for any reason.

S

Soleil

Avoidance of situations that cause you to have panic attacks and anxiety.

Keep going out as much as you can. Develop coping strategies. Have a rest if you need to but keep going out.

Take care 🤗