• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do you wake up?

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
As we all know, antipsychotics are so sedative! I get over 10 hours of sleep and I struggle to get up in the morning. This is a problem as I am now looking for a job and will need to get up early. I take my meds at a reasonable time (8pm) and fall asleep at 9 pm. And I always try to get up at 6,but feel mega sleepy and unable. Any one have any tips to get up early?
I really need your help! .-.

W

Worriedyin

As we all know, antipsychotics are so sedative! I get over 10 hours of sleep and I struggle to get up in the morning. This is a problem as I am now looking for a job and will need to get up early. I take my meds at a reasonable time (8pm) and fall asleep at 9 pm. And I always try to get up at 6,but feel mega sleepy and unable. Any one have any tips to get up early?
I really need your help! .-.
I have no tips but I feel your pain. I just took a job where I don't have to work mornings which works apart from the days where I'm practically falling asleep at my desk!

Six is really early though, why do you need to get up so early?

I hope you find an answer! Could you reduce your dose of medication or would that not work for you? Or switch to something less sedating? Like aripiprazole or something?

N

natalie

I was suggesting the same thing, switch to Abilify, which is a less sedative med.

Also, try having a good strong dose amount of coffee, first thing, or an amount of cola. Or better still once out into the colder crisp weather air, that normally saps me out and wakes me up much more.

Best regards.

P

PastelKittenX

Good idea, but I really need to stay on Clozapine as it's the only med that can keep me stable.
I am at a low dose too (200 mg).
And reason for wanting to wake up at 6am is because I want to do morning shifts in a care home care assistant type of job.

A

Andon

I’m just surprised you can still work with schizophrenia. I don’t think most people with mental health are even allowed to work in England .

P

PastelKittenX

I’m just surprised you can still work with schizophrenia. I don’t think most people with mental health are even allowed to work in England .
That is a huge misconception! There's people with schizophrenia who are high functioning and capable to work! There's also no law or rule that people with schizophrenia can't work. Also, I know many who do!

N

natalie

Could I jump in here, I have sczhiophrenia and unfortunately, I can't do paid work, instead, I do volunteering in office and typing administration volunteering, and also in my spare time, I concentrate on fitness for mental health, and attending classes, and I'll listen to music musicals and knitting, in the case of work, I just can't, according to my benefits paperwork in my receipt, I am not allowed to do paid work. There aer various reasons, why I can't do paid work.

Sorry, about this post, however, whenever I see work, panicky a bit, I am then suddenly aware remembering, that I can't do paid work,. That's a given, however, I am capable very much so of office administration, in volunteering mode.

Best regards.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Don’t know where you got that from but people with MH do work. I’m schitzoaffective and have worked most of my life. And so do lots of people on this forum .I’m retired now but still do voluntary work. It can actually be helpful to have a routine

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

My alarm goes off at 5:40.

I am on 10mg olanzapine.

I just get up. I want to work and so this my choice.

A 90% plant-based diet gives me extra energy. I guess that is my secret, but I guess most people scoff at it.

S

sadpunchingbag

i stick a alarm clock in each corner of my room though i am not on anti psychotics but some hard painkillers i also struggle so much to get up early its a battle hope it helps

J

Jules5

A nice brisk cup of coffee or a cola helps to wake you up. I do not have to get up for work in the morning. But I do wake up at 4am and have to have my coffee to wake up. I go to bed around 6pm or 7pm. So I have had enough sleep. Not sure what time you go to sleep. I sure hope you get the job. Just go to bed early and if you wake early time goes by so fast you will be ready for the day. No Fears and No Worries Jules

J

Jules5

Oh I also live in a quite environment so this helps when sleeping.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I go to bed around half midnight and am bright and bushy tailed at 6am ready for duty!!! Strength and honour!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
blog15 Schizophrenia Forum 1
M Schizophrenia Forum 16