• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do you stop 'should-ing' yourself ?

G

Greenbean99

If you had the message growing up that you should be working harder, should achieve more, should be better and then you grow up in society that tells you you should have a job, a house, work harder, be better etc. How do you stop giving yourself these msgs? I'm so hard on myself about things I 'should' be doing, especially having a job etc. Even other people notice it. How do I stop doing it?

bpd2020

bpd2020

Perhaps by challenging the thoughts. Say you have a thought such as ' I should work harder'. Then counteract by something like ' I work as hard as I can and that is enough. These kind of thoughts are so ingrained into us and changing them can take time.

Faith198

Faith198

I would just try and be proud of all you’ve already accomplished. It sucks society pushes us all to accomplish everything at once. Things take time, depending on a lot of factors. Be proud of where you’re at right now, don’t let the pressure make you feel you have to have all this stuff at once. It will come in no time. Be happy where you’re at in life right now :)

G

Greenbean99

It's hard though isn't in, when you don't believe in yourself? I'm constantly beating myself up for not achieving society's standards. I find it hard to challenge the thoughts because I don't really believe the challenges - I DO believe I should try harder, but I know that just makes me feel miserable. I don't really feel like I've achieved anything much.

bpd2020

bpd2020

It is very hard. I can relate to that. I have not achieved a single thing. I cannot work and have had little education. I am sad you feel you should try harder. You sound like you try very hard. You managed to go through dbt. To me that shows real strength.

G

Greenbean99

Aw, thank you. I'll try and focus on that.