• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How do you react when you see someone in a corner of a street begging for money?

B

Blackrose09

And what do you think? If you pay any attention or have any thoughts.
Be honest please.

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
I’m starting to wonder if they need help
or not, is it organized begging. I’ve heard about organized begging and they come from other countries to sweden to beg for money.

I don’t have any cash on me because I only use card or swish. So I still can’t give any money to any person.

I’ve had my fared share of people saying they are begging for money for different things. I just don’t trust people, I’d rather work volunteer or within an organisation that help. Than giving money to a person I see on the streets in sweden, because I just don’t trust them. I’ve seen people going together in groups and they all talk the same language, don’t speak any swedish at all. They later split up and go different places to try earn a bit of money. Some are quite rude and loud, they can also be a bit clingy 😅

K

khuang

I’m starting to wonder if they need help
or not, is it organized begging. I’ve heard about organized begging and they come from other countries to sweden to beg for money.

I don’t have any cash on me because I only use card or swish. So I still can’t give any money to any person.

I’ve had my fared share of people saying they are begging for money for different things. I just don’t trust people, I’d rather work volunteer or within an organisation that help. Than giving money to a person I see on the streets in sweden, because I just don’t trust them. I’ve seen people going together in groups and they all talk the same language, don’t speak any swedish at all. They later split up and go different places to try earn a bit of money. Some are quite rude and loud, they can also be a bit clingy 😅
I question it as well. I also try not to go near them because I’m not sure if they would try and hurt me. It’s not that I don’t feel bad if they are in need but I have a limited income myself and sometimes I need to put off buying something that I want just to get through the month with the quarantine being one example of this. And if they do need help I often wonder why can’t they ask for help from people who provide it? They shouldn’t be ashamed about seeking help if they really need it and most programs set up to help those in need will give them excellent care and resources.

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I guess there are genuine and fake people in all walks of life. I feel empathy towards those who are genuinely struggling and have nowhere else to turn 😊
I've never actually begged on the streets but I've slept there when homeless for security from cameras around town and city centres.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I wonder about their sincerity but I also feel bad for and afraid for them and I hope I don’t get myself into their position some day. To get into a position where begging for money seems the best route, regardless of the honesty or dishonesty if your position, things must be pretty bad. xo, j

Faith198

Faith198

Most of the time I give them some money if I can afford to at the time. I’ve given food too. I don’t know whether it’s fake or not, but either way, I feel I’m doing something nice

N

natalie

I personally in London England, UK, usually just ignore off. Always works.

G

Gamergirl85

I've seen on the telly they could be false beggers. People with perfectly good homes etc begging on the street to gain money.
I dont talk to them much but I do give coats etc or money In the winter to the church down the road who homes them when its snowing .

JessisMe

JessisMe

I've seen on the telly they could be false beggers. People with perfectly good homes etc begging on the street to gain money.
I dont talk to them much but I do give coats etc or money In the winter to the church down the road who homes them when its snowing .
I’ve heard that this year the local churches here won’t be providing shelter for the homeless due to social distancing requirements and covid. I’m very concerned for what the alternatives are going to be...

G

Gamergirl85

Oh yeah didnt think of that. But the past 2 winters I had started to donating to them I didn't get as much as even a thank you even from them. So been thinking of donating to some other homeless charity ..

B

Blackrose09

Not all are false.
And you shouldn't talk to them maybe because you never know what type of people they are and how they are going to react.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Oh yeah didnt think of that. But the past 2 winters I had started to donating to them I didn't get as much as even a thank you even from them. So been thinking of donating to some other homeless charity ..
That seems rude and entitled of them. What did you donate?

G

Gamergirl85

Jumpers , hoodies and coats I didnt want anymore , or couldnt get into so a sackfull each time really. They just seemed too busy 🤷‍♀️