How do you know when you need hospital treatment? -MIGHT TRIGGER-

Mayfair

Mayfair

Don't know how to ask this without risking triggering anyone, which I really do not want to do. So if you're feeling easily triggered please STOP HERE.

How do you know when you need hospital treatment? Basically, drank too much, self harmed. It was stupid and didn't even help, and I regret it. :low: Don't want to add more permanent scars, probably just have.

Sorry. :unsure:

Maybe shouldn't have posted this here, but feeling kind of desperate.
Well you can't undo scars now. So it's done and dusted. No point in punishing yourself any more.

It's sometimes not easy to think straight when having a lot to drink. Try and sleep now if you're tired.

It may have been stupid, but that doesn't mean you are stupid. 2 different things. Remember that if you can't fall straight to sleep.

Take care tonight :)

S

Skeeter

i can't see what subforum it is on on my phone, so i don't know what it concerns, but is there a way of explaining in which it might not trigger s much? it obviously worries you as you posted, so it must concern you. feel free to PM too
take care xxx
Edit: i can see post now. do yiu think it requires looking at? there are a lot of websites too that tell when a wound needs treatment, if that's what you meant?

Mayfair

Mayfair

i can't see what subforum it is on on my phone, so i don't know what it concerns, but is there a way of explaining in which it might not trigger s much? it obviously worries you as you posted, so it must concern you. feel free to PM too
take care xxx
It's in SH forum Skeeter.

I don't think it is triggering.

S

Skeeter

yeah I gathered after seeing your post.
nor do i
I hope you make the r right decision. if your e worried, get it looked at...
sorry for mistakes

M

modafinilguy

nowhereland

I used to self harm when I drank large amounts of alcohol.

Your not alone. Indeed my arms, covered in very significant scars- many, and also my legs to some degree.

Haven't self harmed in a LONG time though, it is possible to get past that. Jesus, I mean I was TOTALLY out of control, should be dead many times over, should have been in prison many times over, been detained- many times. I would not go into the gory details, don't want to upset people, but trust me, I was bonkers level out of control. Now my life is good, I have lots of close friends, I am trusted with kids (that love me and have strong bond with me). Lifes fantastic yet for many years in my dark past I was convinced there was no hope, and was suicidal and put myself in very great danger too many times. It is possible to change that all around. Hope you come back, will talk if you do. Bye

S

Skeeter

hey nowhereland, how are you doing? what did you decide in the end?
i hope youre ok. take care xxx

N

nowhereland

Thank you all for replying. :hug1: I feel a bit ashamed for bothering everyone with this now. :redface: I'm glad it wasn't as triggering as I thought it might be - I panicked a bit at the time, and wasn't thinking straight (well obviously).

i can see post now. do yiu think it requires looking at? there are a lot of websites too that tell when a wound needs treatment, if that's what you meant?
That was what I meant. I just did some googling - thanks for the suggestion. Looks like it was probably borderline, but I'm sure it'll be fine without treatment. The only reason I'd consider going to hospital now would be if treatment would reduce scarring, but don't know if it's a bit late for that? :unsure: I'd also be scared about what would happen there, with it being self inflicted and obviously so.

I should have known better than to drink at a time I was having these kinds of urges, but in the past I've found alcohol can actually stop them. (Not saying that as advice though obviously!)

I don't know how I feel today. I feel stupid, that's for sure. Mayfair, I know it was the act that was stupid and not me who's stupid, but still can't help feeling stupid. Now I'm mainly dreading various people finding out about it. :panic:

Why do I still do this? Sometimes I feel I'm too old to still be doing this now; I'm not a teenager.

S

Skeeter

i think it depends on the wound and the hospital up til what time they treat it, i dont know if in your area you can call 111 and ask advice? (or that 0845 number, i can look it up if you want), seeming as its weekend so you cant go to GP

i find that generally with self harm they do let you speak to a psychiatric nurse but generally if the intention wasnt suicidal they would let you go and just talk a bit - thats my experience, no real consequences.

you can always go to the hospital if you are worried about scarring and i'm sure they can assess and see what they can do (e.g. glue, steri straps)

i guess you are never too old, its a deep thing that you might use as coping strategy, not just a teenage-attention thing, i guess thats just stigma. well thats what i feel anyway, because its so unaccepted generally

N

nowhereland

Thanks for offering to look up numbers, but I'm not in the UK. I don't think I want to call any 'professional' anyway. It was kind of you to offer to look on my behalf though.

i guess you are never too old, its a deep thing that you might use as coping strategy, not just a teenage-attention thing, i guess thats just stigma. well thats what i feel anyway, because its so unaccepted generally
Yes, I think there's a lot of stigma that it's a teenage attention-seeking thing. And that can be really frustrating when you know for many people, it's nothing like that at all. Most people I've come across who self harm actually want to hide it, which is hardly attention seeking.

I think I might go to the chemist later, and see if I can find some things there to take care of it properly myself.

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hi, am sorry you are struggling with sh. I'm 42 and sh, it's not just a teenage thing as too many of us know.
Re the time lapse between sh and treatment, I've been told to get seen within 24 hours if I think need hospital treatment. Hope you will be ok x

N

nowhereland

I decided to force myself to tell my boyfriend what I've done; I figured I wouldn't be able to hide it from him forever anyway, and he already knew my history. It was HARD, to the point of feeling physically nauseous. And you know what? He thinks I only did it to get attention! :mad: :cry2: I thought he knew me better than that, I just can't believe it.

Soon I'll go to the chemist, alone, because of his lack of support, and try and buy some things I need to take care of it. Really scared about the pharmacist asking too many questions. :scared: What a shitty day. All my own doing though, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Sorry for the rant.

NicoretteGummed

NicoretteGummed

If your on the verge of hurting yourself or somebody else due to torment resulting from Mental Health problems Hospital is probably appropriate.

N

nowhereland

If your on the verge of hurting yourself or somebody else due to torment resulting from Mental Health problems Hospital is probably appropriate.
I don't think I'm at risk of hurting myself or anyone else now, just feeling pretty shitty about the fact that I've already done it, and my boyfriend's reaction. And anticipating how things will go at the chemist, of course. :panic:

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Am sorry your boyfriend doesn't understand.
With the chemist, I often buy sh supplies and there is no problem, hope you get on ok xx

N

nowhereland

Am sorry your boyfriend doesn't understand.
With the chemist, I often buy sh supplies and there is no problem, hope you get on ok xx
Unfortunately I didn't read this until after I got back - thanks though. There was no problem, no questions asked, as you said. I was worrying about nothing. :rolleyes:

Thanks again to everyone who's replied and given hugs etc. Sometimes I wonder what I'd do without the support and understanding of the people on this site. :hug5:

calypso

calypso

Admin
I'm 57 and last SH'd when I was 56, so age has nothing to do with it. You are not stupid, you were distressed. Keep talking to us and let us support you through this time honey. xxx

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
I'm 57 and last SH'd when I was 56, so age has nothing to do with it. You are not stupid, you were distressed. Keep talking to us and let us support you through this time honey. xxx
It is a relief for me to know there some nearer to my age who SH.I feel less isolated
m

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Self Harm Forum 3
A Self Harm Forum 2
B Self Harm Forum 1
F Self Harm Forum 3
M Self Harm Forum 1