• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How do you know what traits are mental illness and whats ones are personality?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

They are traits of your personality. We all suffer from negative symptoms in everyday life - it is normal.

But sometimes the symptoms become overwhelming or chronic, and then we need help or to seek time out.

katya

katya

Oh man, I think about this a lot... and you know what, I don't know if there's any proper answer to the question. I don't think anyone really knows. To me, if it's something that's affecting your life badly, then it's probably something you should look at and try to improve; so I'd class those things under 'illness'. It's a mind-fuck though, and, if you think about it too much, you'll start to think you're meant to be this way? Or I do. Best to just stick with the doctor's diagnoses in my opinion!

M

_messofme_

I really dont know... im diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, which makes my self and life quite confusing. Ive thought about it alot lately and ive worked out that if i strip away all the lables i have (such as sister, friends, kind, loving, irritable, student etc) and look at what upsets me in the world, what i really value and believe in, and how i act and think when im at home- not wearing a mask.... then that is who i am. im still getting to know myself in this context but its helping.

H

hillclimbs

I think there are certain mental illnesses that are physical in origin and caused by the body's chemical production or the brain's capacity for memory or internal communication.

There are other mental health issues that seem to be part of the personality. But traits of personality become a disorder (or illness) when we are unable to cope with those aspects of ourselves, or are unable to function as we expect ourselves to, or as the law would require us to.

In the Clouds

In the Clouds

Such a good question! This question really messes me up, and I'm constantly coming up with theories to try and explain things to myself but really I have no idea. I look at things I want to change and try and fix them but I don't know if I'm fixing something or if what I'm trying to change is completely normal. I'm constantly going around in circles with it.
Hmm...

chazxxx

chazxxx

This tends to bug me as well. I have no idea. Leads me to think theres nothing wrong with me at all and its just me & my personality then other times i think im completely crazy. The rest of the time im somewhere in between. I think about it alot and it really hurts my head so i try not to because i don't think ill ever get an answer or atleast never one i want.
But so far it does seem like its both. If something causes any problems or distress then its classed as an illness of sorts - regardless of its orgins.
At uni we were convinced our flatmate had OCD she would drive us crazy asking us to check if we turned her hair straighteners off like 6times before we left the flat. When we asked our lecturer if she has it and can we get her help, he basically told us that only if she has any distress by it would she get diagnosed with it.
Think thats the general way it goes. (obv aside from the cases where someone has to get sectioned because they are unaware and causing harm to themselves or others)
But generally its only a problem if you think its a problem. - even that sounds messed up though.

Last edited:
M

_messofme_

i also find, that i often end up in some sort of circular thinking that ends with me being inherently flawed, with not defining traits of personality and therefore am a non- entity- from there things slip pretty far/fast down hill.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
freebird I no longer believe in mental illness Getting Your Life Back! 35
W Hobbies And Interests That Are helping Your Mental Health Getting Your Life Back! 29
H Gym and Mental Disorders Getting Your Life Back! 3
A "Owning" my mental illness Getting Your Life Back! 12
M Mental Health in Career Getting Your Life Back! 2
K what would you do for your mental hea;;th if you didnt have the internet Getting Your Life Back! 23
D Moving Forward With my Mental Health Issues Getting Your Life Back! 0
Hello513 Do you believe severe mental illness, like psychosis, can be treated better with therapy, and mental techniques rather than medications. Getting Your Life Back! 4
N Mother's Test Appointment - indirectly/Managing my mental h ealth in Recovery at her apppointment hospital, good job hospital was local. Getting Your Life Back! 2
Hello513 The mental techniques I am using seem to be working to rewire my brain. Getting Your Life Back! 3
N Offering my Day Centre Movement/organisation a Talk, on My Mental Health Journey of Recovery Getting Your Life Back! 5
Meet me in the dark How can I pursue my dreams to places without mental healthcare? Getting Your Life Back! 2
C Love and Mental Illness Getting Your Life Back! 6
Deadheading Mental hospital, crisis ward, inpatient treatment - How is it beneficial? Getting Your Life Back! 12
B Not Going to Take Any More Shit from My Mental Illness Getting Your Life Back! 7
SBRicketts Mental hospital:how it should be. Getting Your Life Back! 2
AliceinWonderland 10 Reasons why you should never be ashamed of your mental illness Getting Your Life Back! 13
K Living with parents with mental illness, when you have mental illness Getting Your Life Back! 2
cpuusage From Mental Patient to Healer & Posttraumatic Growth in Psychosis Getting Your Life Back! 2
cpuusage A Finnish approach to mental health and recovery Getting Your Life Back! 1
aspieguy1984 homeless, drugs and mental illness. Getting Your Life Back! 5
Kerome Dating with Mental Health problems Getting Your Life Back! 13
cpuusage 81 Awesome Mental Health Resources When You Can't Afford a Therapist Getting Your Life Back! 3
N Nutrition and Mental Health Getting Your Life Back! 63
Funnyday I was at University when my mental health problems started Getting Your Life Back! 7
H i need mental help with the following. i'm found not credible despite all truth and have to make posts like these. who is honest not just in the uni Getting Your Life Back! 1
H i need mental health with the following. i cannot contact the Vatican because of facebook who represents me legally. i'm anojado Getting Your Life Back! 1
cpuusage Reboot Your Life: 20 Mental Barriers You Should Let Go Of Getting Your Life Back! 2
A Conclusions over my mental health and treatment for it as a teenager Getting Your Life Back! 11
cpuusage Decluttering: How it Boosts Mental Health Getting Your Life Back! 2
blacksmoke a time to change lets end mental health discrimination Getting Your Life Back! 1
T A mental health message... Getting Your Life Back! 66
B Struggling with mental health Getting Your Life Back! 5
N Working with Mental Illness Getting Your Life Back! 6
C Ex-Boyfriend is disclosing my mental health issues Getting Your Life Back! 6
Nikita Navigating the minefield that is mental illness. Getting Your Life Back! 2
cpuusage Coping with a Mental Health Crisis by Catherine G. Lucas Getting Your Life Back! 3
Faylen Mental Health V's Physical Health Getting Your Life Back! 3
N Mental Health Recovery - long may it continue Getting Your Life Back! 4
The Big Dawg Poeple with a mental health forced to work Getting Your Life Back! 35
LORD BURT Telling my manager: talking about mental health problems at work Getting Your Life Back! 12
cpuusage Top 5 Ways To Improve Your Mental Wellness Getting Your Life Back! 2
LORD BURT Rob Whitley: Recovery In Mental Illness Getting Your Life Back! 1
F Drug use and mental issues Getting Your Life Back! 4
D My Succes with my Mental Health Struggles... Getting Your Life Back! 8
amathus Is volunteering good for your mental health? Getting Your Life Back! 8
N The reason why there is no need to feel shame for emotional disturbance and mental health issues Getting Your Life Back! 20
amathus Does well-being improve your mental health? Getting Your Life Back! 32
Gajolene Looking after your physical health when struggling with mental health Getting Your Life Back! 1
apple Nutrient Power - William Walsh's evidence that balancing nutrients can heal various mental health conditions Getting Your Life Back! 1