How do you know if your an alcoholic?

D

Daniel C

I have been wondering this myself? I don't drink too much in the course of the day. I have bourbon mixed in with my coffees and i also drink at the same time of day usually around 4:00pm in the afternoon, i usually have it neat and i only have a couple of drinks, but i make them last. But the thing is it's almost become like a ritual. I spend all day wishing the time away hoping that 4 0 clock will come around quickly.
I just don't know if that makes me a an alcoholic or not:scratch:

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

ah so the question for me is why do you drink in the first place? the thing with alcohol using it this way it becomes a habit and then can move towards a coping mechanism to blot out stuff. to 'relax'

Kerome

Kerome

I think it depends how much you drink... if you go over your total recommended units a week in drinks it obviously isn’t good. But I think being an alcoholic is a little ways above that.

H

hello513

If you drink more than one drink seven days a week your probably an alchoholic. I mean some brilliantly successful people have been life long alchoholics so its not like some people cant live productive lives as alchoholic, but it will probably be harder that way.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
according to my gp i'm a problem drinker as alcoholic drinks when they know it's doing them damage

one women i dated whose a recovereed alcoholic saod when you have to have a drink when you wake up in the morning you know you've got a problem

my support worker when i had one said i've never seen you drunk as far as i'm concerned you haven't an alcohol problem, you know how when profffessionals are closing your case the language is that theres nothing wrong with you

aa philosophy on the other hand is anyone who drinks has alcohol issues, the only solution is abstension

D

Daniel C

ah so the question for me is why do you drink in the first place?'
I mix whisky with my coffee in the morning as i feel that i can't start the day unless i've had a drink, it gets me motivated. I also drink in the late afternoon as it helps relieve stress and calms me down.

D

Daniel C

one women i dated whose a recovereed alcoholic saod when you have to have a drink when you wake up in the morning you know you've got a problem
Sometimes i wake up realy early in the morning because i want my drink, but i don't get up as it's too early so i just lay inbed feeling realy on edge.

Kerome

Kerome

Sometimes i wake up realy early in the morning because i want my drink, but i don't get up as it's too early so i just lay inbed feeling realy on edge.
There’s probably a case for saying that if you drink with breakfast you’re an alcoholic.

D

Daniel C

There’s probably a case for saying that if you drink with breakfast you’re an alcoholic.
I suffered what i thought was my first alcohol withdrawel symptoms yesterday! During midday i got stressed and i started shaking and my hands were trembeling. So i've come to the conclusion that perhaps i do have a drinking problem.

Chyna Pearl

Chyna Pearl

I think an alcoholic is when you think about drinking all the time and you don't know when to stop and you do it everyday cause you "think" you need it when in reality you are addicted to it...

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I think an alcoholic is when you think about drinking all the time and you don't know when to stop and you do it everyday cause you "think" you need it when in reality you are addicted to it...
you do need it if your addicted to it sometimes i worry about my alcohol drinking there again the anti med people have me worrying about my sulpiride use

C

Candy19

if you're using alcohol as a form of running away from problems no matter how big or small they are then I'd consider that just as much of an alcoholic than someone that drinks daily

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
what about using psychiatric drugs as a way of running away?

W

winofunk

Someone once told me that if alcohol is costing you more than just money, then perhaps you have a problem. I think they mean if it affecting relationships, work, your social life etc.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
and not having money say because your spending it on alcohol can efffect work social relationships etc

C

ConfusedNSad

When you need it instead of just want it...you have a problem.

I was drinking pretty much every day. I would go on a walk at 8:30 am and wait at the liquor store until it opened for the day at 9 am. I would get a bottle of wine and drink it as I walked and all the way home. I started out being pretty drunk once I got home--then I was just tipsy--then...I didn't feel it at all and I would need a 2nd bottle just to get the buzz.

I am an alcoholic...but I am recovering. I have been sober almost 2 years exact (9-11-18 will be my 2 year soberversary) and I don't miss it one little tiny bit. I drank because I had to...not so much that I wanted to anymore at the end.

Get help my friend. I didn't go to AA because I don't like the religious tone and we don't have any non-religious meetings anywhere near me, so I did it totally on my own. I made the decision that alcohol was starting to mess up my life, my family, and I had an embarassing experience (drunk off my butt when I went out to dinner with family and passed out at the table) so I needed to cut it out of my life for good.

I have to warm you, withdrawals suck SO bad, but when you come out on the other side and find that you don't need alcohol anymore...it is the most liberating feeling ever. :) Good luck to you. Go to your doctor and tell him/her...there will be resources for you I am sure there.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
When you need it instead of just want it...you have a problem.

I was drinking pretty much every day. I would go on a walk at 8:30 am and wait at the liquor store until it opened for the day at 9 am. I would get a bottle of wine and drink it as I walked and all the way home. I started out being pretty drunk once I got home--then I was just tipsy--then...I didn't feel it at all and I would need a 2nd bottle just to get the buzz.

I am an alcoholic...but I am recovering. I have been sober almost 2 years exact (9-11-18 will be my 2 year soberversary) and I don't miss it one little tiny bit. I drank because I had to...not so much that I wanted to anymore at the end.

Get help my friend. I didn't go to AA because I don't like the religious tone and we don't have any non-religious meetings anywhere near me, so I did it totally on my own. I made the decision that alcohol was starting to mess up my life, my family, and I had an embarassing experience (drunk off my butt when I went out to dinner with family and passed out at the table) so I needed to cut it out of my life for good.

I have to warm you, withdrawals suck SO bad, but when you come out on the other side and find that you don't need alcohol anymore...it is the most liberating feeling ever. :) Good luck to you. Go to your doctor and tell him/her...there will be resources for you I am sure there.
if you mean me there aren't the resources, i drink to help me sleep, as i said to the gp if i take sleeping pills people bang on the door at night, i'd rather not be woken up from a sleeping pill, and incidentally i'd be concerned if i went to the door dopey due to a sleeiping pill

i went to addaction large groups, i asked for 1 to 1 just got resented going through the motions

then there was the junction project, they're dual diagnosis counciller used to work at john wilson house, felt the people at that day centre were completely different from the mentally ill people with alcohol problems in the community, he lacked experience, finished with him when he said to see him i had to go to a day centre

if i had gone to the day centre and got reliant as so many wanted they're now closed