How do you know if you have BPD???

M

marymoocow

Hi , could someone please explain to me how they get diagnosed with BPD?? :confused:

cadence

cadence

not sure exactly when i was dx'ed cos they denied it for a bit, but around sept 09 may have been when was in hosp, otherwise it would have been one of the psyches i saw, i worked out my dx from the fact they had put me forward for dbt, and eventually one psych admitted it was true.

W

Witts

hahaha.....be admitted to an APW, meet a consultant once & hey presto theres your label ;)

amathus

amathus

hahaha.....be admitted to an APW, meet a consultant once & hey presto theres your label ;)
Well.. yes for some of us Borderline does stand out that much! I would imagine that if the Consultant was doing his job professionally enough, they would have had the experience to look at a history of that person
quickly and efficiently and make a diagnosis....
for some,however it does take longer.That's the reality of the situation.....sometimes BPD can be difficult to pin-point because it is on a broad spectrum within the Personality Disorders....it depends on how the person presents.

qf.

W

Witts

Well.. yes for some of us Borderline does stand out that much! I would imagine that if the Consultant was doing his job professionally enough, they would have had the experience to look at a history of that person
quickly and efficiently and make a diagnosis....
for some,however it does take longer.That's the reality of the situation.....sometimes BPD can be difficult to pin-point because it is on a broad spectrum within the Personality Disorders....it depends on how the person presents.

qf.
I dont believe ANY diagnosis should be made that qickly, however experienced with however much information a Pysch is presented with! Labels can be and are very damanging, and not so easy to challenge and it should be concidered that yo work alongside a patient, include them and their views! Individliasation is the way forward!

I mean this in the most respectful way, and to be totally honest dont necessarily disagree with my diagnosis but see the damage lables case on a daily basis ;)

W

Witts

and apologies my 'U' btton doesnt work properly lol

amathus

amathus

Hi I understand where you are coming from....Individualisation can be the way forward, but does it really happen in practice...
I don' t take any notice that I may have been given a 'label', it only becomes a label,if you allow to be so.
I'm more concerned with exploring ways which will allow me to achieve a better standard of 'wellness'.....
I do accept tho that folks do get bothered by the 'label' thing.

qf.

dib4uk

dib4uk

For me it took two hours over two seperate dates, and at the end of the interview the psychiatrist said that i was really strange, i took that as a compliment lol. YAY!

:clap:

C

cazzieb

i had two psychiatrists, over 2 hours and now i have to go back with my mum as they wont to get to the root of the problem and know more about my childhood, i only hope my mum doesn't go into her over protective mother mode and say everything was normal and that i was the perfect child and her mothering skills were not to be questioned! cause my childhood was anything but normal and ok she did her best but she was a 'head in the sand' mum!

coffee

coffee

I don't have a bpd dx, but a PD dx with borderline and avoident traits (i.e. I don't meet enough of the criteria to be dx with bpd or avoident pd).

A very very shorten version of my mh label journey..... It all started when I was 16 and was told it was depression and anxiety, followed by a hospital stay where I was told cyclothimia, at 20/21 I was told Bi-polar II in October I was told not Bi-polar at all but BPD - This followed an inpatient stay and an arrogant, PITA consultant who made everything 3 times worse than they were to start with.

I got a 2nd opinion cos I knew that BPD did not fit and was told by my 2nd opinion dr that its a mix in his opinion of borderline and avoident. This was an hour and a half appointment although he did have access to my past notes. I feel this fits much better than just BPD, and am happier with this.