• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How do you keep studying with mental health problems?

ChaiTea

ChaiTea

Not work related, tho. I'm in university. I struggle with mental health, like all of you (in my case, probably it's depression). Since I need to have things gone, how do you do? How can you be productive when you have any strength and also the easiest thing feels nearly impossible? Sometimes I would like to have a label on my forehead saying "hey, I'm not just lazy".

G

goodgollymiss

I would do work for twenty minutes and then take a twenty minute break. Then repeat. Soft ambient music can help. As well as making alot of rough notes to find what ideas you have to work with

Z

Zoe1

another one is to get some blank postcards
or little A6 notebooks and write key words and phrases on them
then you can carry them with you and read a little bit on the bus

frisas45

frisas45

This is the MASSIVE problem that I go through. But here's the solution: I just study for an hour, take 10 minutes off, repeat the process, and finally take the whole evening off.

ChaiTea

ChaiTea

Thank you all... maybe I need to say, I suspect I suffer from ADHD. So it's not only hard because I don't feel good, but also because reading a single page is very, very hard and makes me feeling tired, just reading takes from me an incredible amount of energies.

Kannon

Kannon

Same issues here, good luck sir. I don't have any answers unfortunately.

leaftree

leaftree

I have similar problems too :( I don't set a time limit but I usually read an article or write some words, then watch ten minutes of a video or something, then do some more work. Get up and walk around, maybe get some water or tidy, every half an hour or something. Do things in bits to help me focus. It doesn't always work, but it's better than nothing for me. And I try not to push myself. If I have an assignment to write, I set myself a word target per day to make the workload easier for myself. And if I'm revising, I just do it for a few hours before going out or going for a walk or something. Obviously it's good to study and work, but if I push myself too much then sometimes I feel worse than if I haven't studied at all. So try your best but be easy on yourself too.

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

There is a free course called learning how to learn that might be of interest. You may find you already do some of the stuff they mention. There is also a wonderful optional reading essay by someone with mental health issues.