• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do you help yourself feel good

C

catdom

No matter what I do, I can't feel good unless I'm tipsy. I try to find fun things to do, but it just doesn't work. I want to feel happy and excited about life, I just feel dull most of the time and it sucks. I want to find reasons to value life and be happy that I'm alive, but I really can't find them. I don't feel enthusiastic about anything. The best part of the day for me is when night comes so that I can go to sleep. I feel like I'm surviving, not living.
Is there any trick to help myself feel good and excited about life without using alcohol? (Even feeling drunk isn't helping that much anymore) Would talking to a doctor and getting a prescription work? I thought that I could make myself happy without relying on medication but I think my brain chemistry is just messed up. I'm also scared that medication wouldn't help much and that I'll still end up feeling stuck and empty like this

DistantOcean

DistantOcean

I would advise to see a psychiatrist. He will most likely prescribe you a combination of antidepressants and psychotherapy. In general try and live healthy, workout or go for walks as often as you can, and practice some form of meditation (i.e. Wim Hof Breathing followed by 10-20 minutes of mantra meditation twice per day). There are also some alternative treatments of which ketamine infusion, TMS (non invasive form of brain stimulation) and ECT are most effective at treating depression. I know your struggle, I have treatment-resistant depression and feel exactly the same. Living can be extremely tough.

C

catdom

I would advise to see a psychiatrist. He will most likely prescribe you a combination of antidepressants and psychotherapy. In general try and live healthy, workout or go for walks as often as you can, and practice some form of meditation (i.e. Wim Hof Breathing followed by 10-20 minutes of mantra meditation twice per day). There are also some alternative treatments of which ketamine infusion, TMS (non invasive form of brain stimulation) and ECT are most effective at treating depression. I know your struggle, I have treatment-resistant depression and feel exactly the same. Living can be extremely tough.
I'm usually afraid of going to the hospital and talking to doctors but I really need to face that fear and see someone about this. It all feels so pointless so often that I feel like I'm going crazy. It feels like I'll have to deal with this forever and I'm scared of that. I'm getting health insurance in a few weeks and I should be able to see a psychiatrist. I always wanted to go but backed out at the last minute because I was scared. Now I'm terrified that nothing will help and I'll be stuck feeling like this forever. All I want is to be able to find reasons to be happy

jajingna

jajingna

Sounds like seeing a doctor could help, or at worst make no difference so you have nothing to lose.

anex

anex

Medication could really be helpful, but I think stopping the consumption of alcohol would have to come first to see how it really would help. Seeing a doctor is a great idea to help you through that, as well as therapy. I understand hospitals freak you out- valid! How about private practice? It’s a much more pleasant and relaxed environment.

What helps me feel good is being with my partner, loving my dog, treating myself with a fun new snack, playing video games that pull me into the story, processing my darkness through making music and writing poems, throwing knives, helping others, laughing at bloopers on YouTube, learning about my topics of interest...

I’m not sure what could help you feel excited about life in general- that’s a tough one and so unique to each person.
I hear you don’t feel enthusiastic about anything. But is there anything that gives you even a sliver of enjoyment or contentment? Anything that gives you hope? What’s in your heart, underneath all the pain you’re feeling?

C

catdom

Medication could really be helpful, but I think stopping the consumption of alcohol would have to come first to see how it really would help. Seeing a doctor is a great idea to help you through that, as well as therapy. I understand hospitals freak you out- valid! How about private practice? It’s a much more pleasant and relaxed environment.

What helps me feel good is being with my partner, loving my dog, treating myself with a fun new snack, playing video games that pull me into the story, processing my darkness through making music and writing poems, throwing knives, helping others, laughing at bloopers on YouTube, learning about my topics of interest...

I’m not sure what could help you feel excited about life in general- that’s a tough one and so unique to each person.
I hear you don’t feel enthusiastic about anything. But is there anything that gives you even a sliver of enjoyment or contentment? Anything that gives you hope? What’s in your heart, underneath all the pain you’re feeling?
Thank you! I don't drink often now, but I did have substance abuse issues for two years and that must have affected the way my brain processes things. I still don't feel any better even after reducing alcohol consumption.
The only thing that I still actually enjoy is taking care of my pets. I have to force myself to do anything else, as I don't find satisfaction in anything. Most of the time everything just feels hopeless. I also struggle with anxiety, which makes it hard to get through the day. It's even more difficult to find joy in life when I feel scared and worried most of the time. I wish I could just sleep all day but unfortunately we all need to study and then go to work to feed ourselves.
I'm not really sure if there's a way out of this. I'm scared that this won't go away and I'll have to manage symptoms all my life. I wish I could just be careless and relaxed, but it's not something that my brain knows how to do. Even when I try to comfort myself and change my thought pattern the bad feelings are still there