• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do you handle it?

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Just how does one handle anxiety and panic if you're not allowed to have Benzodiazepine's ever again?

I once took 2,000mg of valium, and other pills in the extreme and survived, so I won't be getting those pills or anything like them ever again.

I have my techniques to help with panic, like breathing exercises...but sometimes it just doesn't work!

Every single night when I go to bed I have panic attacks, if I even think about sleep I get chest cramps.

I'm on Seroguel for another matter at the moment and it does help with sleep...too well, I only want to sleep day & night. What kind of life is that?!

Any insight would be appreciated.

A

Apotheosis

I have been practising ACT techniques. Basically acceptance of feelings, anxieties & panic - & allowing these states, while doing what we want to do despite them -

http://www.contextualpsychology.org/act

I signed up for this course & they sent me the work book for free -

http://www.actforanxiety.com/ACTforAnxiety_Study_Index.html

It is also available from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness...4992/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1236982518&sr=1-1

It has been helping. I got half way through the book & have been unmotivated to finish it - but I will do.

The techniques are very much based on similarities with certain meditation & mindfulness techniques. It does seem to help.

Regular meditation can be very effective I think - but such things are cumulative, like many things. I have been practising deep, slow, diaphragmatic, breathing techniques for years, & I have found some benefit from them too.

I still get anxiety, panics, & worries; but I don't think such things can ever be eradicated completely, & maybe it is a case of just finding ways to cope with these things better? It is helpful to know that I don't have to act out on certain feelings & emotions - I try to sit with stuff; & things do ease & pass. Exercise can help too; & cutting down stimulants, something I find very hard as I love coffee & cigarettes. But it is horrible when we're in a lot of anxiety, it is something I have struggled with a lot, & to a large degree I have stopped doing things that cause anxiety for me, but I don't think that's very healthy either. I hope you can find more peace & relaxation.

Last edited:
ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
If I could keep a thought out of my head for longer than 10 seconds, I would try meditation again. The thoughts keep rushing in.

I've tried having the simplest mantra as the word "one'. It just doesn't work. My head is too noisy (as well as my surroundings!).

I'm looking into the links you posted...thanks.

As for coffee & ciggs...they're my life I and refuse to give them up for anything, ever. I do however, ride my bike every day for many kilometers. I'm obsessed with it and it's a good thing in my life.

I can keep the order in my life...just not in my mind.

A

Apotheosis

If I could keep a thought out of my head for longer than 10 seconds, I would try meditation again. The thoughts keep rushing in.
To my understanding, Meditation isn't about not thinking. Nor is meditation a 'goal' or an aim. Anyone can meditate, in any state of mind. I have used many different techniques; there is no 'right', or 'wrong'. The original meditation 'techniques' are very simple. One is to focus on breathing (it doesn't matter what is going on in your head) - just sit comfortably, & focus on your breath - breathing naturally. There are variations on this; but that is it in it's essence - just awareness of breath. The second ancient technique is to focus on something of adoration - a small statue of something, a candle flame, the picture of a loved one. Traditionally it would be an image of 'an enlightened one'; the Buddha or some such - but it can be anything. The third technique is to again sit relaxed & comfortably; & observe your thoughts. All this means is to practise 'non attachment' & detached observance, 'awareness' & 'mindfulness'. Simply practise observing thoughts, acknowledge them, but try not to 'become them', like the ripples on the surface of the water caused by stones; simply watch. When you notice that you have got carried away in a train of thought, bring things back to silently observing again.

Recently I've been practising a Raja Yoga meditation

http://www.bkwsu.com/whatwedo/meditation

http://www.bkwsu.com/whatwedo/meditation/meditationexp.htm

There are also many & varied techniques often using visualisation - but I prefer the simpler ones.

I think life is very much a meditation, & it is very much possible to practise being in a meditative state 24/7 - it isn't as bizarre as it sounds.

As for coffee & ciggs...they're my life I and refuse to give them up for anything, ever. I do however, ride my bike every day for many kilometers. I'm obsessed with it and it's a good thing in my life.
What is it with coffee & cigarettes!? If there is a heaven then it's full of tobacco & fresh coffee. & not a Christian in sight. :evil:

I can keep the order in my life...just not in my mind.
I think there are things to be optimistic & hopeful about; which doesn't negate the seriousness & difficulties of 'MH stuff'. But I do firmly think people can & do recover; & improve their well being. It is very good that you cycle so much; & I'm sure there are many healthy & 'positive' aspects to your life. There are I feel 'pathways out of the maze'.

Last edited:
ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Well then I'm a dummy. I get intrusive thoughts and my adrenaline & hormones kick in and I'm ready for battle, not meditation.

I know the breathing techniques yet still I get those primitive things in my being. Maybe I'm too far gone.

There is no, and never was any, peace in my soul.

"What is it with coffee & cigarettes!? If there is a heaven then it's full of tobacco & fresh coffee." - Amen!

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
My meditation 'teacher' was my brother. Maybe he had it wrong. :confused:

N

northern

I was taught that meditation can be done anywhere at anytime, standing, sitting, at work, riding the train and so on.

You don't need to sit in a funny position, burn candles, etc and all it takes is a few mintues acouple times aday to get started. Once you can master the easy stuff then you can go onto a more involved session.

Eg: washing dishes looking out the window, be mindful of your breathing, count in for 10 then take an even bigger breathe this means you have expanded your lungs fully, hold for 3 counts, then release for 10 and blow harder then hold for 3. If you are unable to do this then work up to it.

This in it'self is a form of meditation. Makes you less likely to think of the negitive stuff.

Eg: once you have done the breathing and your mind isn't chattering away, look out the window and just look, breathing in & out that isn't shallow (more from your belly than your chest) and just feel the moment. Watch the birds, relax your body etc.

Again another form of mediation.

For night time panic there is a yoga excerise that helps relax the body, slows down the mind (stops you thinking of rubbish) and helps your breathing. Once you get to know how to do this you do fall asleep before you finish.

W

woosy

I am agoraphobic for 20 years now and I have tried cbt, meditation and mindfulness. They helped in a way but I didnt get good results. At this time I am reading Claire Weekes agoraphobia, She teaches that to overcome panic you must learn to pass through it. There are two fears in panic First fear is what any person would get when faced with danger (panic symptoms), second fear is; fear of the first fear ie "oh no! here we go again", it is the second fear what keeps the first fear firing and panic spirals. By learning to Face-dont run away. Accept-do not fight. Float or Loosen-do not tense and Let time pass- be patient with yourself. I carried out this simple (not easy) strategy I was able to walk through open fields on my own. When you next feel your panic, take a deep breath and let your body loosen, stay where you are and let the wave pass over you. dont fight it, accept it, you will find that by doing it this way your symptoms will gradually die down.

W

Worryhead

I definitely believe that perseverance with facing your fears is the way to overcoming, or at the very least, lessening your anxiety and panic attacks.

7 years ago I didn't leave the house for several weeks, and couldn't go shopping on my own. Now I can do both, and I'd put that down to constantly trying to get out by making small steps at first, then bigger ones...

It's a good idea to make a list of your top ten fears and try and work through them at your own pace from smallest to biggest.

If you're not successful on first attempt, then don't blame yourself - treat it as experience and a learning exercise. :)

rakshasdragon

rakshasdragon

For my panic attacks I take Kalms tablets they work and have no side effects, teres also a Kalms Night to help you sleep. I also have a Bach Rescue Remedy Spray again no side effects and works wonders. Listening to calming music or music that you like.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
For my panic attacks I take Kalms tablets they work and have no side effects, teres also a Kalms Night to help you sleep. I also have a Bach Rescue Remedy Spray again no side effects and works wonders. Listening to calming music or music that you like.
Kalms works for panic attacks?
I'll definately give that a go.
What's bach rescue remedy spray?