• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do you handle being startled/hyperarousal?

Zero One

Zero One

Hello,

I have some serious issues with being startled even when I was on medication. I told my psychiatrist about it but now that I am thinking about it, I probably didn't use the right words. I will be going back to the psychiatrist again soon, but am wondering how to cope with this if you have any advice. I had a bad reaction to meds recently and it made it worse and more complicated. Although I recovered for the most part I am still pretty jumpy when touched, approached, or if something deviant/ vulgar is said.

Today it is the worst it has ever been but I need more sleep.

frisas45

frisas45

Well, the best advice for you is to wait patiently for appointment. Try some meditations. Like, mindfulness. That helps me, as yoga relaxed me a LOT. Might reduce the symptoms you're having.

If you can't meditate right now, try listening to hypnosis/ASMR sessions. That stuff will knock you down to sleep.

Zero One

Zero One

Thank you so much. 😊 Meditation and yoga sound good. I am traumatized by a certain pattern of thinking and what I've read about mindfulness reminds me of that, so I will stay away from mindfulness. Thank you very much for your recommendations. I really need help, it is getting bad.

Zero One

Zero One

I replied before I saw you post the video. Thank you soooooo much. I will watch it now.

Debo

Debo

Hello,

I have some serious issues with being startled even when I was on medication. I told my psychiatrist about it but now that I am thinking about it, I probably didn't use the right words. I will be going back to the psychiatrist again soon, but am wondering how to cope with this if you have any advice. I had a bad reaction to meds recently and it made it worse and more complicated. Although I recovered for the most part I am still pretty jumpy when touched, approached, or if something deviant/ vulgar is said.

Today it is the worst it has ever been but I need more sleep.
I startle easily too. A doorbell on TV sets my heart racing, and an unexpected knock on the door has me crawling into my sleeping bag. I used to do a ton of camping and decided to use mine all the time because to me it’s almost like a hug and become a safe place for me, but my pets provide the most comfort for me. Petting them settles me down, and their notifications of activity around my house comforts me.

Zero One

Zero One

I startle easily too. A doorbell on TV sets my heart racing, and an unexpected knock on the door has me crawling into my sleeping bag. I used to do a ton of camping and decided to use mine all the time because to me it’s almost like a hug and become a safe place for me, but my pets provide the most comfort for me. Petting them settles me down, and their notifications of activity around my house comforts me.
Yes I understand this. I always sleep with a comforter. You can take care of pets, that's good. I am not good at taking care of pets so I don't have any.

Debo

Debo

It’s great that you know that about yourself. I wish all people were that thoughtful and responsible before they go out and get one...Maybe think on it? There are pets that are low maintenance that still bring the love and good company. I once had a very meaning relationship with a betta fish. The best things about companion animals are they never judge, never lie, and always accept you as is. Plus you never have to worry about being interrupted when you have stuff needs saying 😊

Zero One

Zero One

This was awesome but I got really nauseated and had to stop. How weird is that?
Not weird. Sometimes it is difficult to listen to people. There was another one someone posted for anger and I could not listen to him.

Debo

Debo

Not weird. Sometimes it is difficult to listen to people. There was another one someone posted for anger and I could not listen to him.
The thing is I loved it! I realized when I was listening that it’s been a very long time since someone talked to me so it was nice to feel like a human was here with me. I also got totally into relaxing and was feeling heavy and tingly and then bam I had to stop or I would have thrown up. I was bummed but slept great which is rare.

Zero One

Zero One

The thing is I loved it! I realized when I was listening that it’s been a very long time since someone talked to me so it was nice to feel like a human was here with me. I also got totally into relaxing and was feeling heavy and tingly and then bam I had to stop or I would have thrown up. I was bummed but slept great which is rare.
Oh so you loved it but we're nauseated? I misunderstood (which isn't uncommon for me). I felt much the same way...very similar but it helped me with my jumpiness a lot.