How do you go about getting a diagnosis?

A

AsherRain98

I have been struggling with my mental health for about 12 years now and I have never been to a psychiatrist. I have been to a self harm support group back when I was 12 as I was forced to go there via recommendation by my middle school. It was either the six week program or I was to be expelled. The funny thing is though I wasn’t even a self harmer and I had never self harmed myself back then. I had wrote in a notebook that I craved blood and that I wasn’t myself. I had an obsession with vampires and I use to actively search for how to become one. I was bullied back then and I was aggressive. I use to sit in my room with the lights off every day after school crying and one time I had this idea that I wanted bangs. I basically chopped my hair up and hid myself in a closet. Over the years, I moved on to murderous thoughts which lead to suicidal thoughts. I mostly have suicidal thoughts now that I’m not a teenager. What brings me on here is that I feel that I have Bipolar and I want help. I feel like I’m trapped inside my mind and all I want to do is scream. I have been seeing shadows, feeling like I’m being watched constantly, I tried to harm myself last Monday, I have went through three different sleep schedules in only a week and a half, and I feel like I’m going insane. I brought up my concerns to my grandmother, grandfather, and mother. My grandmother thought I was doing this as some kind of insult towards her. My grandfather called me ungrateful and said that I was doing it for attention. My mother said I was lying about how I was feeling on the diagnostic online assessments and when I told her I wasn’t she shrugged me off. I just want help. I feel trapped and that I’m falling down a black hole. I can’t take myself for treatment because I don’t have a car, my insurance cards, or even my social security card. My mother keeps them. I’m terrified and I feel betrayed by my own mind. I don’t have any friends because the only friend I had I stopped seeing. I stopped seeing her because I felt I wasn’t good enough for her like her other friends were and when she wanted to hangout I always canceled last minute so why should she continue to talk to me? I can’t talk to my father, even though he has Bipolar and could help me, but I refuse to talk to him. We are not close and he use to beat me when I was a child. I feel so alone. I just want help. I want to be diagnosed so I know I’m not crazy. So my family will stop dismissing me. I don’t know how to go about that though. I’m clueless as to the first step on getting treatment. I’m 20 almost 21 next month; if that matters. Thank you if you can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH2

Oh hun you don't deserve to be treated like that, especially not by your own family. I think that preventing someone from getting treatment is abuse and is illegal? If it's not then it should be. Please get help whenever you can. You are number 1 you need to take care of you. 🤗🤗

GaryC123

GaryC123

Hi AsherRain98. From what you write above, you appear to need to see a professional who may be able to give you help. If your dad is bipolar, then there is a better than normal chance that you are as well, and like I say, what you've written above sounds like signs of mental illness. There are treatments and medicines that can help. They won't cure you but they should help you manage your symptoms. I suffer from Bipolar Disorder with psychotic features but I am on meds which make my life manageable. I fuss and complain on my meds and sometimes I still get my symptoms, even on meds, but I do realize I can't live any kind of decent life without them. Like I say they won't cure you but they will make life manageable.

Also, there are gene tests that can be done now that will determine which medicines are right for you, because not all people are the same and meds can work differently for different people. The best thing is to see a doctor and see if you can get tested for which meds will work best for you. The reason I say that is because, given the fact that people react differently to the same meds, it may take a while for doctors to find the right meds for you. The gene testing will help them narrow down the search for the right meds for you.

Good luck.

K

Kelly B

I have been struggling with my mental health for about 12 years now and I have never been to a psychiatrist. I have been to a self harm support group back when I was 12 as I was forced to go there via recommendation by my middle school. It was either the six week program or I was to be expelled. The funny thing is though I wasn’t even a self harmer and I had never self harmed myself back then. I had wrote in a notebook that I craved blood and that I wasn’t myself. I had an obsession with vampires and I use to actively search for how to become one. I was bullied back then and I was aggressive. I use to sit in my room with the lights off every day after school crying and one time I had this idea that I wanted bangs. I basically chopped my hair up and hid myself in a closet. Over the years, I moved on to murderous thoughts which lead to suicidal thoughts. I mostly have suicidal thoughts now that I’m not a teenager. What brings me on here is that I feel that I have Bipolar and I want help. I feel like I’m trapped inside my mind and all I want to do is scream. I have been seeing shadows, feeling like I’m being watched constantly, I tried to harm myself last Monday, I have went through three different sleep schedules in only a week and a half, and I feel like I’m going insane. I brought up my concerns to my grandmother, grandfather, and mother. My grandmother thought I was doing this as some kind of insult towards her. My grandfather called me ungrateful and said that I was doing it for attention. My mother said I was lying about how I was feeling on the diagnostic online assessments and when I told her I wasn’t she shrugged me off. I just want help. I feel trapped and that I’m falling down a black hole. I can’t take myself for treatment because I don’t have a car, my insurance cards, or even my social security card. My mother keeps them. I’m terrified and I feel betrayed by my own mind. I don’t have any friends because the only friend I had I stopped seeing. I stopped seeing her because I felt I wasn’t good enough for her like her other friends were and when she wanted to hangout I always canceled last minute so why should she continue to talk to me? I can’t talk to my father, even though he has Bipolar and could help me, but I refuse to talk to him. We are not close and he use to beat me when I was a child. I feel so alone. I just want help. I want to be diagnosed so I know I’m not crazy. So my family will stop dismissing me. I don’t know how to go about that though. I’m clueless as to the first step on getting treatment. I’m 20 almost 21 next month; if that matters. Thank you if you can help.
I have bipolar with psychotic features and, thanks to me, my daughter has bipolar disorder. If you’re father is bipolar there is a good chance you are too. It’s hereditary. What you have described sounds very familiar to me. You need help. I recommend you begin by calling a psychiatrist and explaining your situation. In turn, the psychiatrist can speak to your parents about getting you help. It might upset them but too bad. Your mental health takes priority over how they feel. You cannot survive in the black hole. Make the phone call.