• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do you explain bipolar to the mentally 'healthy'

S

secret1992

I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar so I don't tell people I have it. I'm convinced that's what it is I just need a diagnosis.
Anyway, in college yesterday I was in a seriously bad depressed/angry mood. I was horrible to all my friends when they were just asking me what was wrong with me. The only people who knew to leave me alone were the two girls who I always hang out with (one of them is manic depressed so she completely understands) but everyone else thought I was just being a d*ck (sorry)and I tried explaining today and they didn't ask questions about it. I'm just worried that if I have another mood like that in college they won't understand.
How do you try and make people understand as much as they can?

S

suzy

Simple,

don't explain it, why do they need to know? Only tell people you trust and feel comfortable with

SimonB

SimonB

Hi Secret,

Its a fine line between telling your 'friends' and allowing your behaviour to chase them away.

It is difficult, the friends that are important to you are the ones you need to focus on, but as always with mental health...you find out who your real friends are.

There are some good threads that explain bipolar on here...I'm not bipolar by the way, but sitting them down with the facts is a start...if you feel up to that.

Rejection is possible, but they may also see your moods as rejection....see where I'm coming from??

Hope you work it out.(y)

iffybob

iffybob

I dont think there is a right or a wrong way .... its mostley playing it by ear .. choosing who and how much to tell on a case by case basis ....

Good luck ... boB ... :)