• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do you define Voices

iffybob

iffybob

What I want to know is how do you define your having voices...

I have heard the occational spoken "voice", speek to me, it was never a good situation I was in.. but this has only happened a few times in my life..

I know some people have actual voices that speek to them, and they can identify and seperate them,.....

.... I have to say I dont get that, I get images, like when in a dream or a flash, and feel the emotion of, or the feeling to do an action, but if I had to say where it came from , I cant, it just appears... I do refer to it as the 'noise' in my head, as opposed to the noise in the outside world..

.. I dont know if its to do with the way I think, I tend not to think in words in my head, I think in images, and then translate to words...

.. are these images my version of voices... they are intrusive, the images are disturbing, and not easy to understand....

I just wondered....

( ps I am going to copy this over to my journal.... )

InMind

InMind

The difference is that a "voice" is perceived to be coming from the environment [down the hall, behind you, ect] rather that heard internally like the natural "inner monologue" we all have.

Although not necessary, if you personify a inner voice as person, then it's probably that's a "voice"

iffybob

iffybob

Yes but No

I understand what you mean by the "inner monologue" the images I see are 'definatley' NOT that, they are suggestive/directive of action some times, some of the ones I 'can' interperate ... Some times its like watching a clip from a film or TV, .... it is very hard to explain ....

keepsafe

keepsafe

boB - it sounds like dissocation to me.

My voices are outside and inside
KS

iffybob

iffybob

Clueless

I was just wondering if it was the way my brain ,"Thinks" ... some of them are suggestive of actions, done by prsenting me with the images .... some seem disassiotaed fro the situation... but I have never been sure if I am just not able to read them right....

.. I do find it best to just ignor them, they are desructive ....:(

InMind

InMind

I understand what you mean by the "inner monologue" the images I see are 'definatley' NOT that, they are suggestive/directive of action some times, some of the ones I 'can' interperate ... Some times its like watching a clip from a film or TV, .... it is very hard to explain ....
Inner monologue is just the voice your hear in your head when thinking through thoughts. I hope I'm not mistaking this, otherwise my situation is more bizarre than I expected. I converse with my inner monologue [not as two seperate entities, but as one]

Spaceman

Spaceman

Hmmm....confused

I know someone who has experienced external voices and images, however they also have a third person inside their head which is suggestive and directive which can control snd instigate their OCD. This inner voice talks to and at them as a separate person apparently not as a part of them but as a separate entity. Surely then hearing voices can be internal and external. Is thsi how you understand it?

Spaceman:confused::confused::confused:

iffybob

iffybob

Inner monologue is just the voice your hear in your head when thinking through thoughts. I hope I'm not mistaking this, otherwise my situation is more bizarre than I expected. I converse with my inner monologue [not as two seperate entities, but as one]
Yes I do that, this is somthing else ... it is distincely different...

Spaceman

Spaceman

So does that count as hearing voices, as they define hearing voices?

Does anyone know when internal process becomes voices?

I have to go tonight but will come back and read any further posts tomorrow.

Sleep tight hope the bed bugs don't bite

Spaceman:sleep::sleep::sleep:

G

gaz1969

It is possible to mistake sudo voices for voices. If I have you find the voices increase in intensity when under stress or duress then these will be sudo voices as there will be an element of control with them

A voice in the true sense can be both inside or outside the head. Exploration around the perception of the voice from the receiver will determine if it is a voice or a sudo voice.

However either way both can be distressing and would benefit from a chat with the Doc.

Seeing video type images in your head implies there is a element of stress or over activeness in your life which will also benefit from the support of your GP and likely referral to the psychology services in Primary Care

Good luck