• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do you deal?

Sarah902

Sarah902

I've been having panic attacks for over 15 years. It triggers when I have to eat with people and have nothing to say. I even write a list of things to talk about but still run out of things to talk about. My face turns red, shaky and hard to make eye contact. I start to feel judgement. They probably wonder "whats wrong with her". So I anticipate the next time and start feeling anxious before it even happens. Makes me want to quit my job. I cant because I will be homeless. I'm so embarrassed at 34 and STILL have this problem. How to you handle people's reactions to your panic attacks? Side note I've tried many medications and therapy.

DanL15000

DanL15000

When I have a panic attack in public, I make like I need a smoke and go outside.

I pop Lorazepam as needed. But even with it all the bones in my body hurt, I get cramps in my legs, I feel like I can't breath, that my heart will explode...

...Heck I even get that way here at home.

I find that trying to do stretches helps. Sometimes just turning off the lights and laying in bed with a fan blowing on my face and the room as cold as possible is the furthest I can go to relieve the panic.

Fortunately, it goes away.

Sarah902

Sarah902

When I have a panic attack in public, I make like I need a smoke and go outside.

I pop Lorazepam as needed. But even with it all the bones in my body hurt, I get cramps in my legs, I feel like I can't breath, that my heart will explode...

...Heck I even get that way here at home.

I find that trying to do stretches helps. Sometimes just turning off the lights and laying in bed with a fan blowing on my face and the room as cold as possible is the furthest I can go to relieve the panic.

Fortunately, it goes away.
I used to smoke but I find it just makes me even more anxious. Distraction works if your at home but to do these things at work will look kinda odd. Sometimes chewing gum helps. I just hate feeling this way and making it ackward for them. Or I can say I will eat later but then they will wonder why I dont want to join. Ultimately it shouldn't matter what they think. Do what you want, right? But its earlier said than done.

DanL15000

DanL15000

I used to smoke but I find it just makes me even more anxious. Distraction works if your at home but to do these things at work will look kinda odd. Sometimes chewing gum helps. I just hate feeling this way and making it ackward for them. Or I can say I will eat later but then they will wonder why I dont want to join. Ultimately it shouldn't matter what they think. Do what you want, right? But its earlier said than done.
I wish I could give advice about work situations. But I never found anything that helped.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Louizard Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 5