• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How do you deal with your agoraphobia?

E

Empty_void

I also have trouble with going outside, that scary place where all the people look at me and judge me. I find it more comfortable if I am with somebody otherwise I avoid it if at all possible. I try not to judge myself too harshly and reason that I am a socially awkward person. If I do need to go outside I get myself worked up and hateful so I can feel a false sense of power in the fact that I hate people. Exposure therapy which is basically the same as saying go outside!!! Nope nothing works unless you chose to do it yourself. Life is a futile struggle with no real reason. At least we can know what we are! I reckon animals are happier in their ignorance. Something inside keeps saying 'keep going'. What is that?

Karmaman

Karmaman

My social anxiety is evolving into social anxiety. It's hard to explain to anyone who has never struggled with this about what your going through. After all these years I don't know how or why I keep going.

Bod

Bod

My anxiety stopped me going out and in the end I had to force my self to start going back out as our neighbour was walking our dog, then I just set the alarm for 5am every morning and have a quick shower now to help wake me up and I take our dog for a good long walk and then we will sit and just watch the world go by before we either walk back or get a bus home. It can be so refreshing to walk in the breeze as it falls on your face giving you the good feel factor.

E

Empty_void

I can walk the dog no problem, it's speaking to people that I find difficult perhaps it is more to do with my self criticism. It makes it much harder if you are alone, depending on your past also complicates the issue. The failure in the mental health system is mostly to blame. How many hoops must you jump through to get real help for anything? It's degrading and mostly puts people off. It's no wonder so many people are suffering and it makes me sick to death. Is it right that people only receive help once they become a danger to other people or themselves? ...even then it take far too long to get the correct help. Psychological help needs to be implemented far earlier; schools would be a good start!

jajingna

jajingna

Do you think social anxiety can turn into agoraphobia? Sounds scary.

P

Pollypop

Do you think social anxiety can turn into agoraphobia? Sounds scary.
Yes. It absolutely can. Well, for me it has.
This may sound awful, but ‘ lockdown’ made me feel at peace, with
no guilt or helplessness for watching the world through the window.

It also meant that nobody would be knocking at the door to come in.
Thats another fear I have.

F

Fancyharm

Hi all

I had severe agoraphobia. But I have gotten over it, I've been.on a plane and all sorts alone.

It takes time. And you need tools. I still use Wasp, wait, absorb, slowly proceed.

Also relaxation exercises helped.

And, do you know what, I feel, now I'm ok that sometimes we just don't want to do things because we are human. I used to find myself putting everything down to agoraphobia, but now it's gone, sometimes I just don't want yo go out because I can't be bothered!!!!! Simple, just plain old can't be bothered, that doesn't mean I'm weak, I'm getting worse with the agoraphobia, no just plain old can't be bothered!

So don't worry if sometimes you think you just can't be bothered means you are rubbish. We are still only human even though we have agoraphobia.

TheGeneralSpiral

TheGeneralSpiral

In my experience, the best way to combat agoraphobia is to tackle it head-on. Doing little things to get out daily can help you acclimate to the world again. That's what I did. I would go outside, sometimes just sit there, and I worked my way up.

Do you have anyone who can go with you? When I was pushing really hard to get over the fear it helped to have someone go places with me. My parents, sister, and ex really helped me with this. When I went out when it was really bad I always felt like people were staring at me, judging me, like almost peering into my soul. My parents always mentioned how anxious I was when we went out places, especially grocery stores.

Now I go to the grocery store a few times a week on my own. I learned that I'm not the center of the universe and that the people there are just trying to get their stuff and go home too. I went on days I was having bad panic attacks recently and didn't have any on the walk to/from the store or while I was actively shopping. That was a huge victory for me and very encouraging. But I have to point out that it took practice to get to this point.

Just because something isn't easy doesn't mean it's impossible. And as they say... Practice makes perfect! I'm finally learning how to interact with folks while I'm out and about too. That's new for me. I had just been focused on my personal "mission" when going out but now it's actually enjoyable to cross paths with a stranger and have a little chat. (I never thought I'd say that.)

T

txlady377

Yes. It absolutely can. Well, for me it has.
This may sound awful, but ‘ lockdown’ made me feel at peace, with
no guilt or helplessness for watching the world through the window.

It also meant that nobody would be knocking at the door to come in.
Thats another fear I have.
I felt, and still feel, the same way about the "lockdown". No pressure to go anywhere, so now I am even worse than before :(