• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How do you deal with weight gain from meds?

• Thread starter Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale
  • Start date
Manicotti

Manicotti

How I deal with weight gain? Well, I feel badly about myself, cry, then stuff my face.

Seriously though, I have replenished my pantry with a bunch of healthy foods, and made it a goal to do one active thing a day. Hopefully I can get even better at coping with this, but I'm just taking it one day at a time.

T

Tombomb

I hate that side effects of medication too but we most stay strong n active ! I like peaceful walks with my dog n love too fish n play frisbee golf in the woods! U guys would like it??

K

Keesha

How I deal with weight gain? Well, I feel badly about myself, cry, then stuff my face

I think that’s how I got this big to begin with.
How I deal with weight gain? Well, I feel badly about myself, cry, then stuff my face.

Seriously though, I have replenished my pantry with a bunch of healthy foods, and made it a goal to do one active thing a day. Hopefully I can get even better at coping with this, but I'm just taking it one day at a time.

I got a bunch of fresh fruits and vegetables today. After Christmas I think everyone feels over gorged.

EddieH

EddieH

It remains a juggling act with meds and weight gain. Just on sequel now, as needed. I beat the diabetes a month ago. It was a long road getting that sorted. A lot of the meds sap the motivation to exercise which makes it hard. I have kept the 20 kg off but bounced up amazingly fast with a few months of meds, back down to 80 kg now.

E bikes are cool for exercise and fun. If you get tired, you just motor on home. Helped get me fit. Just bought a normal bike today pick it up tomorrowMY22Roam4Disc_ColorABlack.jpg

H

HumbleHubby

Lower your calories (Use myfitness pal) you would be suprised how calories add up, get into a deficit by exercise via gym.

K

keith74

One of the biggest things to do is to not have any temptation in your home (unhealthy foods/snacks). My wife is normally pretty good about this but yesterday she came back with 4 "family-sized" bags of popcorn because there was this big sale at the store. This is not gonna go well lol :)

P.S. - already one bag was devoured last night!

G

Ginger Kitten

Hi!
No matter what medication I am on it makes me crave carbs and sugar! I binge eat terribly also. It's not the meds that make you put weight on, it's not being able to control your appetite. I try to snack and binge on food that is 'better' e.g. carrot and hummus instead of chips and dip. I also control my portion sizes when I eat meals. I dont deny myself, but it is important to be mindful when meds have an effect on your appetite ♡
'It's not the meds that make you put weight on, it's not being able to control your appetite.'

Luci, that is incorrect. Many antipsychotics have known weight-gaining effects. For instance, the one I take, quetiapine, has a number of side effects:

It slows your metabolism
It makes you put on fat around your middle (which can predispose you to diabetes and heart disease, especially with long-term use)
It increases fat receptor cells in the gut
It impacts the way appetite-suppressant cells work in the brain
And yes, it also increases appetite and makes you crave carbs and sugary foods.

Olanzepaine is even worse for weight gain, as is Clozapine (though this is used more for schizophrenia). Lithium, though a pure mood stabiliser rather than an antipsychotic, can also cause weight gain.

I agree that we need to eat healthily, exercise regularly and try to control our weight, but I do think it's important that people know the truth about some of the drugs we take. I would stop quetiapine tomorrow if I could due to the weight I've gained (1 1/2 to 2 stone since starting on it 9 years ago), but I can't go lower than 200mg/day or I get manic. But I would love to shift the extra pounds, as I was always a slim woman. Unfortunately, I've had to accept that being heavier is an unfortunate consequence of staying stable.

All that said, however, not everyone gains weight on these drugs - I don't want to depress everyone reading this! It depends on your individual metabolism and how you respond to the meds, I suppose.

G

Ginger Kitten

It remains a juggling act with meds and weight gain. Just on sequel now, as needed. I beat the diabetes a month ago. It was a long road getting that sorted. A lot of the meds sap the motivation to exercise which makes it hard. I have kept the 20 kg off but bounced up amazingly fast with a few months of meds, back down to 80 kg now.

E bikes are cool for exercise and fun. If you get tired, you just motor on home. Helped get me fit. Just bought a normal bike today pick it up tomorrowView attachment 48880
Nice bike. I cycle too, weather allowing. It's too cold in the UK atm for it, but as soon as the weather improves, I'll be out cycling along by the riverside. I also walk, and do aerobics and yoga (both at home). I'm quite active, but my weight still doesn't budge!

H

HumbleHubby

I'm Olanzapine 10mg, my weight shot up from 93kg to 104kg very quickly, i do an hour of cardio a day and weights 4 times a week and in a calorie deficit of around 50p to 700 calories, diet is high protein around 150g daily and I'm now at 99.1kg

G

Ginger Kitten

I'm Olanzapine 10mg, my weight shot up from 93kg to 104kg very quickly, i do an hour of cardio a day and weights 4 times a week and in a calorie deficit of around 50p to 700 calories, diet is high protein around 150g daily and I'm now at 99.1kg
Wow, 5kg is impressive, especially on Olanzapine. Well done! That gives me hope and inspiration, thank you HumbleHubby.

G

Ginger Kitten

One of the biggest things to do is to not have any temptation in your home (unhealthy foods/snacks). My wife is normally pretty good about this but yesterday she came back with 4 "family-sized" bags of popcorn because there was this big sale at the store. This is not gonna go well lol :)

P.S. - already one bag was devoured last night!
Uh oh! Maybe you can eat some? (Just joking, of course, Keith!)

H

HumbleHubby

Going to do my 1st weekly weigh in, fat and muscle %, let's see if its worked