How do you deal with weight gain from meds?

Skynet

Skynet

I'm a 30-year-old man who takes 1200 mg lithium and 5 mg Abilify every day. My lithium level was 1.0 last time I checked. My BMI is 25.0 now (18.5 to 24.9 is considered normal, 25.0 and above is considered overweight). I go for a 45-minute walk twice a day but I do eat a lot of junk food; I seem to have an irresistible craving for calorie-laden food that cannot be mitigated without a drug change. Therefore, I'm planning to meet my psychiatrist tomorrow to ask her to either reduce my lithium or Abilify or start me on a weight-loss drug/hunger suppressant like Contrave, that contains bupropion, an antidepressant.

How do people who have gained weight on such medications deal with it? Before starting all these meds, I was a skinny teenager with a BMI of around 17.5. I want to lose weight not only in order to look good but because being overweight predisposes you to heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, etc.

Luci

Luci

Hi!
No matter what medication I am on it makes me crave carbs and sugar! I binge eat terribly also. It's not the meds that make you put weight on, it's not being able to control your appetite. I try to snack and binge on food that is 'better' e.g. carrot and hummus instead of chips and dip. I also control my portion sizes when I eat meals. I dont deny myself, but it is important to be mindful when meds have an effect on your appetite ♡

Z

Zoe1

yes I get that as well I think
I'm going to see the health adviser at the psychiatry clinic

I have never heard of a hunger suppressant that sounds interesting

I asked for a dietician and was given a health coach
which helped a bit , but I would be interested to see a dietician

:grouphug:

EddieH

EddieH

I don't eat much but am obese now with diabetes. I just got a treadmill, only getting on it 5min at a time, but I'm almost jogging. I've dropped 2kg in two weeks. Determined to get rid of the diabetes. I was on zyprexa on and off for years, and the weight is pretty hard to move but I'm getting there

Luci

Luci

I don't eat much but am obese now with diabetes. I just got a treadmill, only getting on it 5min at a time, but I'm almost jogging. I've dropped 2kg in two weeks. Determined to get rid of the diabetes. I was on zyprexa on and off for years, and the weight is pretty hard to move but I'm getting there
That amazing well done Eddie!

J

Jules5

Good job Eddie I have a treadmill My son wanted it now it just sits here.

N

natalie

I have a careful diet off own back dietary plans, and also I am heavily into fitness working out, to low impact aerobics, salscise, and going to zumba gold classes.

I am on 25ml of Abilify.

I have had in the past a lot of jacket potatos, and subs, I am now just starting to plan to do away with both, and make vegetarian noodles, or quorn meals for my lunchtime meals.

Well Done, Eddie, by the way.

EddieH

EddieH

just weighed myself started at 101.9 kg now down to 99 kg in a couple of weeks. Its really promising plus i'm not drinking anymore it all must make a difference. Thanks for the nice comments everyone much appreciated

N

natalie

Hi Folks,

I forgot to point out, I was a clothes size in British terms 18, and I've come down to 16, I would very much like to get to clothes size in Britain, 14.

As I say, I am very much into fitness.

Also, could I point out, that any feeling irritible/frazzled/stress, I do have the tendancy to gain to have much more normal bread sandwiches, and or choclate. I wish to come away from that aspect as well.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

Id say i have a good background in this i did put on 10 stone in 4 years. Being on anti depressents it also didnt help the anti depressents made me into a zombie but heres my advice

1 ) have a balanced diet quite simple stay away from food is processed in moderation sure as long as it keeps in your kcal limit 2000 kcal for female and 2500 kcal for male for the moderation id say 2 times a week but thats if you want that

2 ) exercise i know its hard when you are low but you need to just to maintain weight it can be just walking for 1 hour a day it will help obv if you do more the better

3 ) dont miss meals try do anyway if you miss meals your body holds onto the fat so in theory it makes it harder for you to lose weight or maintain weight

4 ) another funny one less stress but that is easier said then done

: it is simple in theory but you just need to be actively thinking about what you are doing to control weight when we feel low its not even a thought but we should because it males shit worse for us

Skynet

Skynet

Thanks everyone! My psych reduced my lithium to 1000 mg a day and also prescribed 50 mg a day of Topamax for weight loss.

H

Helen73

I had an appointment with my pdoc this morning and wanted to change anti-psychotic - abilify - as my weight has ballooned since I've been on it as I'm hungry all the time. She said that Abilify doesn't increase appetite!!!!! That's bull! I don't get out much so my exercise level is low which doesn't help. I'm also on lithium and fluoxetine which she said should lower weight not gain weight. Feeling quite miffed.