• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How do you deal with irritability?

M

mike123

Hi everyone,
I don't get "classic mania". I get irritability and anger which can actually be a manifestation of mania people don't realize. I take all the usuals, depakote, trileptal, luvox, and a tiny bit of clonazapam but now I'm taking haldol for my irritability. Its killing my libido and I don't know what to do. Has anyone treated their irritability another way?

B

BlueWater

Lamotrigine and Clonazepam help me a lot. Seroquel is helping, too, as are Lexapro and Mirtazapine. I guess you have OCD hence the Luvox?

M

mike123

Yes, the luvox is for OCD. I actually had a manic episode years ago and took Seroquil. It help me feel calm but I put on so much weight and was always half asleep. Interestingly is that Seraquil is an atypical antipsychotic I think but it didn't dampen my libido like Risperdone and now haldol.
I don't have experience with Lomoctrigine, Lexapro or Mirtazapine. My pdoc did say he'd consider putting me on Lomoctrigine.

B

BlueWater

Yes, the luvox is for OCD. I actually had a manic episode years ago and took Seroquil. It help me feel calm but I put on so much weight and was always half asleep. Interestingly is that Seraquil is an atypical antipsychotic I think but it didn't dampen my libido like Risperdone and now haldol.
I don't have experience with Lomoctrigine, Lexapro or Mirtazapine. My pdoc did say he'd consider putting me on Lomoctrigine.
I have OCD, too. I'm trying Lexapro for it.

One of the first things Lamotrigine did for me was dampen my rage. I may have gained a pound or two from Lamotrigine but I think it's not so much the medicine as it is it making me feel better.

My Seroquel and Mirtazapine dosages are so low that I've only gained about two pounds from them and two pounds from Lexapro. I'm taking just enough for to calm anxiety and shut off the OCD so I can sleep.

G

Ginger Kitten

Lamotrigine and Clonazepam help me a lot. Seroquel is helping, too, as are Lexapro and Mirtazapine. I guess you have OCD hence the Luvox?
Blue Water, you're on FIVE drugs? Are you sure you're not overmedicated? I'm on two and am very dubious about adding a third, even though I feel I may need it to stabilise my moods. Five seems too many to me, but then I'm no expert...

G

Ginger Kitten

Hi everyone,
I don't get "classic mania". I get irritability and anger which can actually be a manifestation of mania people don't realize. I take all the usuals, depakote, trileptal, luvox, and a tiny bit of clonazapam but now I'm taking haldol for my irritability. Its killing my libido and I don't know what to do. Has anyone treated their irritability another way?
When you say 'another way', do you mean rather than medication? Various meds do help to reduce irritability, as others have said, but there are behavioural methods that help too. I found DBT (dialectical behavioural therapy) to be very effective in reducing anger. It offers various techniques you can use to regulate all kinds of negative emotions (anger, sadness, fear, anxiety, etc), things you can actually do to return your heart rate to normal and literally 'cool' the emotion down (anger is a 'hot' emotion, for example). I recommend DBT for emotional dysregulation of all kinds, including BP anger, although it was actually devised for people with EUPD (emotionally unstable personality disorder).

I also paid to go on an anger management course, but found it rather basic, and it didn't teach me anything I hadn't learnt already, either through DBT or my own research. The course was very simplistic, though; you might find a better one.

Here in the UK, if you have a severe mental illness like bipolar, you are continuously under the care of a psychiatrist, in fact, a complete team. So, for instance, I could ask my psych for a referal to a psychologist for psychological therapy (usually CBT, which I'm not a fan of but plenty of people find helpful). I see that you're in NYC, so this may not be the case for you, or you may have to pay to see a psychologist. But that's another route to learning to control your anger.

I won't lie to you, it's not easy to control BP anger - I still suffer from it periodically - but of all the therapies I've tried over the years, I've found DBT the most useful. And there's a positive here too: in the US, DBT is used for all types of emotional dysregulation, not just for people suffering from EUPD (as it is in the UK). Best of luck, I hope you find some solutions to this.

B

BlueWater

Blue Water, you're on FIVE drugs? Are you sure you're not overmedicated? I'm on two and am very dubious about adding a third, even though I feel I may need it to stabilise my moods. Five seems too many to me, but then I'm no expert...
Yes, and probably a few more than I mentioned here. I have various pain syndromes, trauma, insomnia, OCD, etc. My combo is working well for me and is all given under one doctor who knows why I need everything I take. My dosages are low on most meds, just enough to quell the pain, stop panic attacks, even my moods, help me eat and help me sleep.

G

Ginger Kitten

Yes, and probably a few more than I mentioned here. I have various pain syndromes, trauma, insomnia, OCD, etc. My combo is working well for me and is all given under one doctor who knows why I need everything I take. My dosages are low on most meds, just enough to quell the pain, stop panic attacks, even my moods, help me eat and help me sleep.
Oh, I see. You didn't mention the other conditions, or the dosages you take. I'm relieved to read this: I was concerned on your behalf. Season's greetings to you, Ginger.

B

Bones

Hi everyone,
That's quite a cocktail, you have me tied for # meds. The ones I lean on for irritablity (among other things) are Gabapentin and Seroquel. I take them both on a regular basis. On days I'm particularly irritabile, I have some extra gabapengin. If that doesn't help in a couple of hours, I have a small amout of extra Seroquel.

I see you mentioned some pain issues. I also take the gabapentin for the 4 herniated disks I have in my neck, it has helped me avoid surgery for a long time.

Have you noticed the Luvox is increasing/decreasing the irritability? From my personal experience I can't tolerate SSRI's, I get too revved up/hypomanic/irritable and need to avoid them.

G

Ginger Kitten

Does anyone use psychological/behavioural techniques to control anger (such as I've mentioned above)? I went on a 6-week course a couple of years ago run by Mind (a UK charity for mental health) that was all about behavioural and psychological change, nothing to do with medication. It was run by therapists rather than pdoc's, so its approach was non-medical.

There are many ways of controlling emotions, including strong ones like anger (CBT and particularly DBT spring to mind). I think we can broaden this subject out to cover methods that don't involve just taking pills. I'm not saying they don't have their role, but that they don't have to be the only solution.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Those 5 drugs may sound like a lot, but actually, the Lexapro is an SSRI for depression, anxiety and OCD, the Mirtazapine is also an antidepressant and to help with sleep, the Lamictal (Lamotrigine) is a mood stabiliser, the Clonazepam is for anxiety, and the Seroquel is an atypical antipsychotic that can stabilise mood, dampen OCD symptoms and help with sleep. At low doses, they can work together quite well.

G

Ginger Kitten

Blue Water's already explained to me in the comments above, Stevie Sloth. Thanks anyway.

B

BlueWater

Does anyone use psychological/behavioural techniques to control anger (such as I've mentioned above)? I went on a 6-week course a couple of years ago run by Mind (a UK charity for mental health) that was all about behavioural and psychological change, nothing to do with medication. It was run by therapists rather than pdoc's, so its approach was non-medical.

There are many ways of controlling emotions, including strong ones like anger (CBT and particularly DBT spring to mind). I think we can broaden this subject out to cover methods that don't involve just taking pills. I'm not saying they don't have their role, but that they don't have to be the only solution.
I'm trying Buddhist meditation and mindfulness. My meds have calmed me down enough to enjoy reading again and to begin thinking about my environment. I'm still reading so I haven't really tried the sitting-on-a-cushion part of it but I'm paying attention to my breathing, using my senses to notice my world and trying to pay attention to others' feelings and not be so quick to jump to conclusions.

R

Roxylox

I would agree Ginger kitten that the less drugs the better. I am on just one.
I would advisr you to try to stabilise your moods ynatural methods - walking, music, journalling, podcasts

T E_90

T E_90

For me dealing with irritability wouldn't be terrible being bipolar 2, but having aspd too complicates everything, it becomes very very difficult if not impossible to calm down.
I'm very good at hiding it.
Anger can last a long time, and being already prone to violence (cause I honestly don't care nor I see consequences) it doesn't help, everything becomes a risky trigger, since I don't have a brake.
Anger can also go away for a while and return two hours later, for the same reasons.
I don't take meds nor want them, the only thing that helps me in those moments is distract my brain with whatever possible,
videos, debates, music, ... pick one,
as well as working out, like push-ups and more.
It's the only thing that helps me to let off steam in a healthy way, and prevents me from killing someone.