• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do you deal with depression that follows a hypomanic episode?

R

redpillar

I think i was hypomanic and now depression has hit me pretty hard. I am on antipsychotics but they don't seem to be helping this depression.

Is this depression caused by antipsychotics? Is this my stable mood or actually depression? or am i bored because i was hypomanic before? I am confused what i should do now. I don't have appointment with a psychiatrist for a month. there's mild loss of appetite and i don't feel like doing much but i am doing everything as normal, it just takes a bit of an effort and i am very stressed about something coming up.

GaryC123

GaryC123

Anti-depressants are often prescribed alongside antipsychotics for the very reason that we (bipolar survivors) generally swing in both directions between mania and depression and antipsychotics often just aren't enough to account for everything. If you have a psychiatrist or doctor who can prescribe such meds, you could look into getting anti-depressants. They don't solve everything but they might help a little with energy levels and keep you out of bed a bit more.

C

Constantine

I've been in a hypo-manic state for the last 2-3 days but feel I am coming down albeit slowly. I am horrified to think of what's next because I know it's a depression that is debilitating. I was on lithium and that controlled the hypo-mania but I was stuck in major depression and overdosed on it so they took me off while in inpatient. My brain has been on fire ever since and my creativity levels are off the charts. All I want to do is get shit done, and I am, but it sucks to know what is coming and support system does not want to admit its inevitability. Right now I'm not on any anti-depressants only an anti-psychotic and an anticonvulsant lamotrigine. My medications have been up and down and round and round and I have no idea what the next steps are. So, I'm going to ride this high for as long as I can and just pray that low that's to come is only but so low. In short, I don't feel your medication is causing your symptoms, rather you need medication to control them, just as I, and maybe we all do.

C

Constantine

Also, in reference to the title, I don't know how to deal with the depressive lows. I don't! I have tried to kill myself 4 times and self harming is a nice reprieve from that nasty habit. My depression is debilitating and utterly hopeless. I'm just waiting on a miracle!!!

N

Nina998

I've been three weeks in a psych ward due to depression that followed hypomanic episode. This happens pretty much every time, several times a year.

K

kamma

Also, in reference to the title, I don't know how to deal with the depressive lows. I don't! I have tried to kill myself 4 times and self harming is a nice reprieve from that nasty habit. My depression is debilitating and utterly hopeless. I'm just waiting on a miracle!!!
Hi Constantine. The medication I find can only work to a point. I have only recently started looking into alternative natural remedies for extreme anxiety, depression etc. this is because my medication is not effective in addressing all of my mental issues.
All The best
Kamma

C

Constantine

Me too, Kamma. I'm looking into CBD products. What have you heard about these?

K

kamma

Hi constantine. Ive heard that The following are good for nervous agitation mental tension and stress. valerine, magnesium. Folic acid, Zinc B complex of Vitamins for the nerves, lemon balm, siberian ginsing check them out. Ive just started using these extracts and the benifits will take a few weeks to manifest. Exercise and a good diet also helps. Mine is a work in peogress so will keep you updated.