• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do you deal with command hallucinations?

L

Lab rat

I fortunately haven’t had to deal with these for a long while. Which got me wondering how you all deal with them.

the way it usually goes for me is:

step 1: they tell me to do something. Let’s say for example “go to the shop naked”

step 2: I ignore the request, they badger me all day.

step 3: “if you don’t do it, we’ll give you cancer” or “we must torture you” or any one of a hundred other threats. It’s at this point I experience the worst most excruciating physical pain.

step 4: I have a blackout for a couple of hours. It’s like they take over control. When I come to, I find I’ve done what they told me to do.

N

natalie

HI Lab rat,

I don't suffer with these at all.

Best regards.

Someone_alone

Someone_alone

That sounds really intense, I don't personally deal with bad auditory hallucinations often but when i do i find instrumental music to help a lot, but for you to be blacking out is quit bad so id recommend asking a professional for help

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
That sounds awful Lab rat . How do you know you’ve done the things they asked you to. Do you have some memory of doing it. Ive had blackouts when ive been in one place then come round somewhere else with no idea how i got there. It was particularly frightening when my girls were little when i used to lose time. Fortunately they never came to any harm and didnt seem to notice ny difference in me

L

Lab rat

That sounds really intense, I don't personally deal with bad auditory hallucinations often but when i do i find instrumental music to help a lot, but for you to be blacking out is quit bad so id recommend asking a professional for help
The pdoc knows all about it, I think he’s baffled

L

Lab rat

That sounds awful Lab rat . How do you know you’ve done the things they asked you to. Do you have some memory of doing it. Ive had blackouts when ive been in one place then come round somewhere else with no idea how i got there. It was particularly frightening when my girls were little when i used to lose time. Fortunately they never came to any harm and didnt seem to notice ny difference in me
I never have any memory of it, it’s like I’m not there. I know I’ve done it because someone tells me, usually the police but sometimes my wife

Daybreak

Daybreak

step 4: I have a blackout for a couple of hours. It’s like they take over control. When I come to, I find I’ve done what they told me to do.
Sounds terrifying, I didn't even know this was possible for schizophrenia. Have you ever seen yourself do it on camera? If not, I would suggest putting cameras in your house, so you can see it for yourself.

Finite

Finite

Which got me wondering how you all deal with them.
If I'm honest, not very well. I usually get the same first 2 steps that you get, then when the 3rd starts and the threats come though, I find myself doing all I can to avoid any situation that involves the type of thing they're commanding me to do. It's definitely not the best way to deal with them I'm sure, but it's better than doing what they say.

Passionflower

Passionflower

I get command hallucinations and I control it (to a certain extent)by doing small things like sitting down or standing up when they order me to. This stops me from doing the really bad commands like to kill someone. It's not easy though and takes a lot of willpower.

Zero One

Zero One

I got up to step three and I have blacked out for a few hours after a severe psychotic episode with hallucinations that lasted a week only to forget the story but have the same characters interacting with me. But never did what they asked me to do while unconscious.

L

Lab rat

Sounds terrifying, I didn't even know this was possible for schizophrenia. Have you ever seen yourself do it on camera? If not, I would suggest putting cameras in your house, so you can see it for yourself.
Thankfully it doesn’t happen often and I’ve not had one for ages

L

Lab rat

The last time I only got to step 3. The voices told me that the neighbours we’re talking about me over the phone/net. After a couple of hours of severe pain, I got an axe and chopped down a telegraph pole, killing the phone/net for the whole street, ourselves included