• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

How do you deal with a serious lack of understanding from loved ones?

• Thread starter hopeful_and_bipolar
  • Start date
H

hopeful_and_bipolar

So im a second generation bipolar and I feel as though my dad (also bipolar) is the only person on earth who understands me and doesn't guilt trip me for my episodes. I recently lashed out at my only two friends in the whole world as they were overwhelming me and we were in a situation which could have led to serious consequences. I had tried to signal to them that I just wanted them to stop loudly talking at me and had said early in the day (after I snapped at them but less severely) that I really couldn't deal with being wound up. one of these two was my best friend of years and she just shouted at me after I snapped and shouted for them to be quiet and also said some not nicely worded things about the fact our families are in drastically different financial situations so a fine from police would be very bad for me (we were trying to avoid police attention which is why I wanted quiet and because I was getting overwhelmed) and then I drove them home and the whole way my best mate was yelling in the car that I use her as a punching bag. I don't feel like I do as before I came home from uni I hadn't spoken to her in at least 3 months, this is one of two times that ive snapped at her and I feel like she overreacted (I know this is pretty ironic coming from me) and I tried to apologise but I just kept getting a lecture. They have made me feel as though im dangerous and should never be around other people again, and frankly I don't plan on ever going out with people again since im clearly too unstable (In their eyes) to be understood. I feel like I constantly adapting myself to consider others mental health but I feel like people act like im too unwell or crazy(I hate being called this) for their adjustments to help/ they are unwilling to adjust to help me. I would like to know that other bipolar people have experienced something similar and any tips would be appreciated :)

JessisMe

JessisMe

My parents are both overwhelmingly supportive of me and the situation of having bipolar. Others haven’t known and have been very quick to overreact when things went south. I ended up loosing a lot of people in my life because of my episodes. No one knew the diagnosis, though.

H

hopeful_and_bipolar

My parents are both overwhelmingly supportive of me and the situation of having bipolar. Others haven’t known and have been very quick to overreact when things went south. I ended up loosing a lot of people in my life because of my episodes. No one knew the diagnosis, though.
This is what has upset as my best friend knew and claimed to understand, but now I just feel so alone in all this. im very happy to have stumbled across this forum.

F

Failing Heart

Oh Hopeful! I know I’m not alone when I tell you these types of situations are the story of my life. Bipolar is a lonely thing and I always feel like people are saying “I understand” but I can tell that they don’t at all:( I cannot stress to you enough that you are SOOOO lucky to have someone in your life that really supports you and understands you in the way you need (your dad). Hopefully things blow over with your friends🤞

Zero One

Zero One

I think the way I dealt with a serious lack of understanding from loved ones caused me to develop mental disorders.
Withdrawing
Diving into talents
Talking to friends
Listening to music
Putting up walls and setting boundaries, then one day I stopped caring in a certain way and took down the walls...seems the boundaries are still there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Bipolar Forum 25