• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do you cope?

I

ImTrying

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in, I'm new here, so please let me know if it's not.

I'm clinically depressed and am on fluoxetine, but I also have a lot of problems with getting very anxious in certain situations.

I was just wondering if anybody knows any good ways of dealing with anxiety to prevent a panic attack, from what they've learnt in therapy or from their doctor. I know in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, I've learnt to sort of question the thoughts that are making me unhappy, but it can be quite a complicated thing to do at the time. It seems more reflective really.

I will give an example.
I was at a wedding yesterday and I was sitting in the garden with relatives. I was drinking a lime cordial. My uncle asks "do you not drink?" or words to that effect. My two sisters laugh, and my younger sister says "what, do YOU not drink?" to me. My uncle didn't really understand what was going on.
In the past I have drunk too much on occasion, so they were making some sort of joke at my expensive. I've actually stopped drinking at all recently because of going back on medication for my depression.
Anyway, I was really upset by this comment. I felt like I was going to start crying right there, I couldn't say anything. It was awful.
I guess it was an over the top emotional reaction to something I am feeling sensitive about, I'm not really sure.

Well, what I wanted to ask was, if you're in a situation where you suddenly feel like you want the ground to swallow you up, you feel in complete agony, what do you do???

Does anyone know anyone have a good way on dealing with these pangs of despair?

In hindsight, I can see that I was just being oversensitive to a throw away comment, that was not very nice, but not unfounded. CBT has taught me that, but I have no idea what to do at the time in these cases of extreme emotional stumblings.

I'm 24, I can burst into tears when someone says something unpleasant or I feel awkward about something. Any kind of calming/rationalising techniques would be greatly appreciated.

If you read all the way to the end, thank you for bothering!

B

Buddha

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in, I'm new here, so please let me know if it's not.

I'm clinically depressed and am on fluoxetine, but I also have a lot of problems with getting very anxious in certain situations.

I was just wondering if anybody knows any good ways of dealing with anxiety to prevent a panic attack, from what they've learnt in therapy or from their doctor. I know in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, I've learnt to sort of question the thoughts that are making me unhappy, but it can be quite a complicated thing to do at the time. It seems more reflective really.

I will give an example.
I was at a wedding yesterday and I was sitting in the garden with relatives. I was drinking a lime cordial. My uncle asks "do you not drink?" or words to that effect. My two sisters laugh, and my younger sister says "what, do YOU not drink?" to me. My uncle didn't really understand what was going on.
In the past I have drunk too much on occasion, so they were making some sort of joke at my expensive. I've actually stopped drinking at all recently because of going back on medication for my depression.
Anyway, I was really upset by this comment. I felt like I was going to start crying right there, I couldn't say anything. It was awful.
I guess it was an over the top emotional reaction to something I am feeling sensitive about, I'm not really sure.

Well, what I wanted to ask was, if you're in a situation where you suddenly feel like you want the ground to swallow you up, you feel in complete agony, what do you do???

Does anyone know anyone have a good way on dealing with these pangs of despair?

In hindsight, I can see that I was just being oversensitive to a throw away comment, that was not very nice, but not unfounded. CBT has taught me that, but I have no idea what to do at the time in these cases of extreme emotional stumblings.

I'm 24, I can burst into tears when someone says something unpleasant or I feel awkward about something. Any kind of calming/rationalising techniques would be greatly appreciated.

If you read all the way to the end, thank you for bothering!
Dear IamTrying

Calming technique No.1:

Conscious Breathing: Whenever something throws you, bring your attention to your breathing. Take at least 2 or 3 deep breaths in - and out. Until you see the pangs of despair wash over you and leave you all fresh, clear and clean.

Calming technique No. 2:

Meditation:
To learn meditation, I would recommend 'True Meditation' by Adyashanti.
http://www.adyashanti.org

Calming technique No. 3:

Understand this:

You are Spirit.

I wish you swift and painfree realisation of your true nature.

I

ImTrying

Buddha - Thank you so much for the techniques, I will try those.