• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do you cope with schizophrenia?

J

JuniorMind10

Hi. I have been battling with schizophrenia for 5 years now. It is really hard. I have noone to relate to. I hear voices and I have frequent psychotic episodes. I was in a mental hospital for a couple of days but I was threatened by another pacient and I soon had to leave the hospital. I cannot find a job and I am still living at home. I am 30 years old. How do you manage?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

It is hard. I am 46 and have been dealing with psychosis for over 20 years.

It still hurts me today but I am much more functional, stronger and braver than the younger me.

I would recommend becoming informed and insightful about the condition.

J

JuniorMind10

It is hard. I am 46 and have been dealing with psychosis for over 20 years.

It still hurts me today but I am much more functional, stronger and braver than the younger me.

I would recommend becoming informed and insightful about the condition.
Thank you for your answer. How do you cope with this illness on a day to day basis? How do you manage working? I have psychotic episodes which are similar in intensity and which really cause a lot of suffering to me when they happen. How can I manage them? Any advice is welcomed.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Well I was working up till the age of 37. Then I spent 7 years on sickness benefits. That helped me immensely. Really do what it is right for you. I do not recommend working if you are falling apart. It may be beneficial to take a low stress job until you feel more able.

On a day-to-day basis I try to keep calm, listen to music, vent online and talk about it.

I run a podcast where I speak to others with the illness and some have become friends.

It is a good idea to keep talking about it.

J

JuniorMind10

The thing is that I am very antisocial and I have become distant to the few acquaintances that I had. I don't know how to get my life together. I don't especially enjoy working and I am very lazy. I like sleeping until 11, 12 noon, I eat a lot of junk food without telling my mother, she is currently working in Austria but will be back home this Saturday. I have to clean the house because there is a lot of mess, which I really don't particularly enjoy doing. My mother supports me, she has seen me in ALL my bad moments, I don't have a father and I think I would rather enjoy living alone which is very selfish of me, if you take some time to think about it. I don't enjoy reading books, I never had because I also have a ringing in my head for the past five years which puts alot of pressure on me and my well being, I have many difficulties in concentrating and I have memory problems. I have observed that my hands tend to shake, quite alot, from the many pills which I changed, along the years. This is, from my point of view, one of the many hurdles that one has to cope with when facing schizophrenia. I know that there is little thing that I can actually do to improve my life because I am lazy, deluded, fearful and a nightmare in the job market. What is your take on what I have said in these phrases? Much obliged and thank you for your patience.

J

JuniorMind10

Yes but I am still under the wrong impression that this illness will just cure by itself and things will go back to how it used to be, although I am certain that I will battle this thing for the rest of my life and that's it.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

IDK, schizophrenia does not have a cure. But it can be managed more effectively with age.

L

llittlelostlady

I was originally autistic (not aspergers...autistic...my dad was autistic my mother was NT but suffered from psychosis aka delusions).

At age 43 I started hearing voices after a road accident (hit and run driver knocked me unconscious off my cycle) but I don't have delusions...just peskies as I call them.

They are obsessed with narcissism and self hatred...which I am not as I don't really understand it.

All the same sometimes my peskies (voices) can be funny, they amuse me, they can be cute, and kind of adorable. I love them most of the time but not when they are being nasty...I don't really understand it.

It seems, according to them, someone hated me and wants me be alone...me I am lonely for a partner but my interest in friends is limited (probably by my autism).

I don't really relate to other females and tend to prefer men...I have a soft spot for them, find them more interesting and find them easier to relate to and talk to. I have nothing against females but I have always been atypical in that way.

The problem is the male friends I have get attached even when for me it is platonic.

It is sad to loose a friendship for this reason, men can be so much fun to spend time with.

(no offence to women...I'm just not a normal female despite my mothers attempts to make me one).

Anyway, I don't think of it as schizophrenia, I think of it as having peskies...

I luffs em sometimes though, they are good company.

L

llittlelostlady

Because I am autistic someone thinks I am a narcissist

L

llittlelostlady

Yes but I am still under the wrong impression that this illness will just cure by itself and things will go back to how it used to be, although I am certain that I will battle this thing for the rest of my life and that's it.
Diet, ignore, clean living

L

llittlelostlady

Oh yeah, and peskie them back...just sayin'

L

llittlelostlady

Play with your peskies, they are just bored.

I understand.