• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How do you cope after?

A

abertha

When I was 12 I suffered from anorexia. It started out as a general insecurity about my weight, but as soon as I started eating healthily and exercising, I seemed to take it to the extreme...like I would think, if im not going to eat what I want to eat, why bother eating anything at all? and if Im going to jog for an hour, why not 2? or 3? and so on...in the end it got to a point where I was eating nothing and working out all the time. My weight dropped, and as such I was "treated" for it.

The only way I could recover from this was to completely ignore any feelings I had about being healthy, or what I should be eating. As soon as I concentrate on one of these things, I fall back into my old ways.

Does anyone have any tips on how to stay healthy, without becoming obsessed and falling back in to old habits?

Thank you so much xx

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Hi Abertha,
Eating disorders are so difficult to come to terms with. I was Bulimic with anorexic behavior for 20 years.
What helped me to stop was being put on high doses of Fluoxetine (it was built up gradually). This medicine helps with obsessive thoughts and behaviors.
Today, I make sure I follow a structured diet, and exercise in moderation - when my chronic pain allows.
Structure is key to being successful, in my opinion.

Drug, alcohol, gambling addictions are killers too, but a person can live without those things and remain alive. Food is not like that. We need it to live.
I sincerely hope you can get some help with follow-up so you can lead a normal life with good eating habits and a healthy lifestyle.
The media certainly hasn't helped us to feel normal with all it's adverts on what we're supposed to look like to be good, great, wonderful, and accepted, etc.

Can you speak to your GP? Possibly get a referal to a dietitian who may also know about healthy exercise limits?

xxx

A

abertha

I am travelling at the moment, but will try to get to a doctor in the UK in the next few months. Thank you for your kind words xx

K

abertha Hi, I had Anorexia from the age 17. My average weight was 51/2 stones, my lowest was 41/2 stones, I met up with my now husband (I knew him before I got ill) when I was 36 and slowly began the route to recovery. I'm a healthy weight now and have been for some years now. I'm 45 now.

My Mum helped run a group in our area for ED's (12 years).

I suppose the surest advice I can give you is routine...it's boring, but it works. I eat three meals a day every day...I stick to it pretty well. Ok it's not a great variety, but that way I don't have to think about food etc, as that always makes me feel beaten before I even get started. I do admit I'm vulnerable when faced with emotional or stressful situations.

Best of luck, if I can help in any way it's no problem.