How do you “hear”?

F

Feathers1984

My voices sound like thoughts but with distinguishable tones. In other words, I can hear whether they are male or female, old or young. Can even distinguish familiar voices of deceased family and friends etc. sometimes it is very loud and sometimes it’s so faint I can barely hear what they are saying. Like they are yelling at me from very far away. How do others hear? Like a thought? Or an actual inner voice? Or outer voice? Just curious

F

Feathers1984

My voices sound like thoughts but with distinguishable tones. In other words, I can hear whether they are male or female, old or young. Can even distinguish familiar voices of deceased family and friends etc. sometimes it is very loud and sometimes it’s so faint I can barely hear what they are saying. Like they are yelling at me from very far away. How do others hear? Like a thought? Or an actual inner voice? Or outer voice? Just curious
And the days it is very faint... are very very good days. But the later i stay up at night the louder they get so I find myself going to bed at earlier and earlier times. When my voices returned after years of thinking this was all behind me, they were so loud that I literally thought of suicide but they scared me out of it by telling me I’m going to hell. I don’t believe that but it did play a factor in keeping me going.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Before medication I used to hear him in my ears like some one was in the room with me, I also heard him in vibrations, vibrations from a fan, a washing machine and dryer, my PC fans and even in my footsteps.

Now I just hear him in my mind like my own thoughts but uncontrollable and feels separate from my own. Thanks to medication it's now around 95% quieter than it used to be letting me cope more easily.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I hear them in my head, sort of like the sound from headphones sounds like it is coming from inside your head. I don't hear my thoughts like this. I think my thoughts, I don't hear my thoughts like I actually hear the voices. It's very easy to tell the two apart. And similar to what you said, they are sometimes louder and sometimes quieter so I can't make out what they are saying. When they are quiet it is sort of like the tinnitus that I also hear, and is easy to ignore. But the tinnitus I hear in my ears, and the voices are in my head. Between the tinnitus and the voices I haven't heard silence in so many years. If I only heard silence again, even for a moment I think I might cry from happiness.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

either my voice or another type just having a dialog with me some voices tell me to hurt myself or others its rare but getting more frequent

E

ernesto3

exactly like yours. sometimes they make it seem as if they’re someone nearby talking about me

F

Feathers1984

exactly like yours. sometimes they make it seem as if they’re someone nearby talking about me
I’ve never experienced that but some talk about me like I can’t hear them when clearly they know I can and it’s very annoying

E

ernesto3

I’ve never experienced that but some talk about me like I can’t hear them when clearly they know I can and it’s very annoying
it would be similar to that. what my voices would do is make it seem like someone nearby was talking about me, as in adapting their tone of voice. they did this once when my friends were in another room as i studied nearby. the voices had me “overhear” them talking about trying to hit a stain on me. it’s occurred multiple times with other people. can’t even trust my own ears.

F

Feathers1984

it would be similar to that. what my voices would do is make it seem like someone nearby was talking about me, as in adapting their tone of voice. they did this once when my friends were in another room as i studied nearby. the voices had me “overhear” them talking about trying to hit a stain on me. it’s occurred multiple times with other people. can’t even trust my own ears.
That sounds awful and annoying. Right now I have a voice telling me to “be brave”. This one likes to tell me how to live my life and what to do. It’s the one that bothers me the most and is the loudest. They pretend to have my best interest in mind but I know it’s a trick and if I did what they said I’d be living my life for a voice in my head instead of for myself